Single speed drive train noise

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hello all, I need some advise on how to quieten down my Tricross single speed. When I got it it was fine with an 18 tooth free wheel, after putting on a 16 tooth free wheel it sounds awful. I have tried three sprockets, two chains and a new wheel with no improvement. Please help!! Thank you for any help.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

You say you've tried three sprockets - did they make no difference? (I suppose what I'm asking is, whether going back to your 18t freewheel silences it again?)

The other thing I'd ask is, does it run silently when you freewheel, and/or with the chain off? The reason I ask is that when I first went fixed, the freewheel on the other side of the hub started rattling like crazy, but it took me ages to realise that's what it was.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hi, Thank you for you reply. I am restricted to the time i can spend on the Net at work I would like to reply to your questions in more detail at lunch time. Thanks again, David
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hi, EdinburghFixed. The original sprocket was much quieter and proved to be again when returned to the original wheel. The new wheel has been hand built by my local bike shop, is a wonderful piece of kit and turns silently in the frame when up on the stand. The problem is more evident when I take it off the stand and plonk 14.5 stone self onto it. I have looked to keep the wheel straight and tried the chain at different tension. Yesterday I bought a 6/7 speed chain and intend to try it out tonight. I would be pleased to hear what you have to say. Thank you for your time and advise. Cheers, David.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Well, at least there are only a few possibilities for noise-making on a singlespeed drive train:

Is the noise continuous, or does it only manifest when you freewheel, or only under power?

The freewheel itself might be noisy. If this is the case swapping the wheel will not make any difference - however I would be surprised if a freewheel rattled when under power. My (limited) experience was that the freewheel was loud when on the left side of the hub, but with the wheel flipped and chain engaged, it was OK.

The next possibility is something to do with the hub or wheel - but I think it's reasonable to assume that this is not the case since you've had the same problem with two wheels!

A dirty chain is certainly noisy, but you've also tried new chains, to rule that out.

The next possibility is that the chainline is poor, i.e. the cog and chainring are not coplanar. The effects of this are easy to see if you try and pedal a geared bike with the chain crossed over from 'easiest at the front' to 'hardest at the back' and vice-versa. A more subtle version of the same problem might be creating noise on your bike - except that as a shop-bought singlespeed you'd expect it to have a nice chainline.

Can you tell us:

- if the noise is continuous, only on freewheel or only on power?
- what model of hub was fitted on the original wheel and what on the new wheel (in case the chainline differs)
- sanity check - that you're running the correct kind of chain... I would be a bit surprised if a multi-speed chain even ran on a single-speed (especially if it is 1/8" drive).

It might be an idea to take the chain off altogether, run along the road and jump on, to make sure the noise is drivetrain related.

Finally a tight chain is very noisy (quite a lot of friction), I run my fixed-wheel with about an inch of vertical deviation from 'pushed down with finger' to 'pushed up with finger'. Any tighter isn't necessary IMO.

If the 18t freewheel is good, then one option might be to fit a bigger chainring and use that. I have a 48t ring for sprockets between 16-20.

Hope that helps a little...
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hi Edinburgh Fixed, I think we have fixed the problem, the journey into work this morning was much quieter. Thanks for your help. David
natmat

Post by natmat »

In my experience any noise has been wholly due to cheap freewheels. Dicta (sp?) ones (as good as the name suggests ;) ), i.e. your cheap BMX, make clicky/crunchy/pingy noises, aren't symmetrical and without any seals don't last long. £5 a pop I think.

Shimano are quieter, but still too much play and wobble for my liking. £14

White Industries. Silky whisper - joy! £70, but hey you've saved that by losing your gears!

Nat.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

natmat wrote:White Industries. Silky whisper - joy! £70, but hey you've saved that by losing your gears!

EAI cog from Hubjub - as silent as "no moving parts" can be... for the same price as a cheap freewheel!

But then, we're not talking fixed are we :D