DIY (audax) route card holder

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DougieB

DIY (audax) route card holder

Post by DougieB »

I've been looking for a 'how to make a route card holder' post for a while. There are quite a few suggestions that you don't need to buy one, as it's easy to make one yourself. But I couldn't find any literal instructions.

Here are some instructions for anyone in a similar situation. All you need are the common things most cyclists have, or bike shops should give out for free.

You'll need an old SRAM chain box, the chains are sold inside these plastic boxes. If you don't have one lying around, then a friendly bike shop should let you have one from the waste box. You'll also need some electrical tape, three small zip-ties and a small sharp screw driver or pointy-ended thing to make holes. An elastic band is an optional extra.

first up, a couple of pieces of electrical tape on the stem to protect the paint and prevent vibration/noise.

next place the base of the box on the stem, and line up where you want the holder to site, marking where you'll make the holes for the zip-ties. Use your small screw driver (or pointy-ended thing) to puncture holes in the base of the box. The plastic box is soft-ish (not hard like a CD case) so it won't shatter. Once you're done, zip-tie the base in place.

although this is not a waterproof route card holder, you can improve the basic resistance to rain with some electrical tape over the zip-tie holes. In preparation for a downpour I'd recommend just wrapping the route cards in a sandwich bag, inside the holder.

and that's pretty much it. Put the route cards inside, and go. About a quartered A4 sheet fits, or a slightly trimmed blank postcard size. The optional elastic band can be fitted through the shop display tag for additional lid security.

and on the road, the elastic band helps with food storage...

hope that helps,

cheers,
Si

Post by Si »

Looks good. Certainly better than the click-fix ones that I've had shatter because they are only held in place at one end and so can oscillate wildly on bumpy roads.
pigman

Post by pigman »

one for the "too good to lose" sections?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Si wrote:Looks good. Certainly better than the click-fix ones that I've had shatter because they are only held in place at one end and so can oscillate wildly on bumpy roads.

Cheers! I hate to think how much you've just saved me!
Si

Post by Si »

pigman wrote:one for the "too good to lose" sections?

Indeed.
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

Si wrote:Certainly better than the click-fix ones that I've had shatter because they are only held in place at one end and so can oscillate wildly on bumpy roads.

this has been tested around Edinburgh, with all its potholes and cobbles. It's semi-stiff bendy plastic, I'd expect it to be shatter-proof.

Also tested to just over 35 mph, and no vibrations or wild oscillations. :-)
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

...so, how do you read the card behind the food?
:wink:
ericonabike

Re: DIY (audax) route card holder

Post by ericonabike »

As an alternative, get yourself a cheap laminator and a stock of A4 laminate pouches. £20 should see you set up for life! Laminate the route instructions then fold [or cut if you prefer]. You've then got a stiff, waterproof route sheet. Put a couple of thick elastic bands [I use bands cut from a motorcycle tube] on the stem. As an added stiffener, use a piece of thin but rigid plastic sheet cut to size, then simply push the whole lot under the bands. Voila - easy to read, waterproof route directions. You can even go to the next 'page' on the fly without too much difficulty.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I think I've posted this before .... http://www.beewee.org.uk/generaldocs/br ... ings-8.pdf it's from www.beewee.org.uk and the Briefings section where there are some other ideas too

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
nez

Post by nez »

That's a very nice pdf Rob with some good stuff on it.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Again,

Many thanks folks for the tips......some properly useful stuff.........

Ta

S
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

There's an even simpler way (for handlebars with a straight mid section, like drop bars).

Materials

- Two clothes pegs - the modern looking ones with a rubbery texture are best.
- Cable ties.
- An A4 plastic wallet. The common stationery type that has two seams - one along the bottom and the other along a long edge.

Instructions

1. Cable tie the pegs on the top of the bars. Don't tighten them too much at this point. Pegs should be in line with the bars with jaws facing inwards, towards each other and the stem. Two ties per peg is fine. I've managed with one per peg for a 100k Audax.

2. Cut the wallet in half and tape along one edge to make a pocket that has seams along three sides.

3. Fold route sheet in half and put in wallet.

4. Clamp to bars using the pegs, ensuring that the open side of the wallet points downwards/backwards (for water run off).

5. Tighten the cable ties.

6. Go ride your audax, feeling smug that this took just a few minutes to make and is easy to remove! :mrgreen: