Bar bag with butterflys

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GeoffA

Bar bag with butterflys

Post by GeoffA »

I'm trying out butterfly/trekking bars and I'm a convert except for one thing:

Has anyone found a bar bag that will fit? Back in the day bar bags used to be small IIRC. They now seem to compete on size and seem to be about 7 litres. All I want is something that has a map holder and space for a phone, wallet and a snack. Does this exist? It doesn't at my LBS and I don't want to order from t'internet as it probably won't fit.

The only solution so far is Ortlieb, which I normally like, but it looks like over £50 for the bag, £13 for the map cover, £7.50 for the extension kit, which is over £70 for a bar bag!
CJ

Re: Bar bag with butterflys

Post by CJ »

Rixen & Kaul also sell a distance set extension kit that pokes their Kick-fix handlebar bracket 43mm further away, as required for butterfly bars. A great many bar bags use this de-facto standard attachment, e.g. Carradice, Agu-Sport, etc. (even Ortlieb will fit on a Klick-fix, actually), so that solves your problem I think.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
diapason

Post by diapason »

The Rixen & Kaul extender works well - I used one on my butterfly bars before I changed the bike. I might be persuaded to sell it as it's now not being used. Make me an offer if you're interested.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
GeoffA

Post by GeoffA »

diapason wrote:The Rixen & Kaul extender works well - I used one on my butterfly bars before I changed the bike. I might be persuaded to sell it as it's now not being used. Make me an offer if you're interested.

N

You have a PM
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I used to use butterfly bars and consequently bought a bar bag with the extender bracket. It worked in most situations, but I found that it made the steering floppy, if thats the right word because it put too much weight at the front of the bike (albeit exaggerated by the use of a 120mm stem; using a shorter stem would negate the effect). This was only in extreme situations on the road; fully loaded with front panniers the steering gave better handling, but the bike would be far less controlable on unmade roads. I loved using these bars without the barbag, but this effect was the overiding reason why I decided to go for drop bars. Of course, this was my particular set-up (on a Galaxy) - a different bike may perform differently. I imagine a small and lightweight bag without the extender bracket installed would work well.

Jerry
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

GeoffA wrote:I'm trying out butterfly/trekking bars and I'm a convert except for one thing:
Has anyone found a bar bag that will fit? Back in the day bar bags used to be small IIRC. They now seem to compete on size and seem to be about 7 litres. All I want is something that has a map holder and space for a phone, wallet and a snack. Does this exist? It doesn't at my LBS and I don't want to order from t'internet as it probably won't fit.

Edinburgh Bicycle do a nice 3 litre bag - their own Revolution brand - no idea if it will fit with your butterfly bars - give them a call. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com
troon25

Post by troon25 »

Hi there,

I had the same problem as yourself and decided to try out a Carradice Zipped Roll bag, onto which I fitted a Rixen and Kaul mounting bracket to allow me to fit to the existing R & K Extender bracket. I also have a R & K Swivel Mapholder to cover the mapping aspect. The arrangement has only recently been fitted, but so far I have not encountered any problems.