Cheaper light weight Brompton

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GOHughes

Cheaper light weight Brompton

Post by GOHughes »

Here's an idea - a single speed, steel framed Brompton that weighs the same as a super-light with the titanium frame.

If you chose a 3 speed with the titanium frame this would give a weight saving of 1000g.

A standard steel frame with a titanium seat post and a 44/15 single speed gearing would give a weight saving of 893g - the cost reduction in gearing would pay towards the titanium seat pin. You would have a super-light bike with a very serviceable 46 inch gear, perfect for round town and modest hill climbing, with the added benefit of nearly a kilo less weight to push up hill. A bike only 100g heavier than the titanium model that costs half the price and with the simplicity of no gears.
Tom Richardson

Re: Cheaper light weight Brompton

Post by Tom Richardson »

I don't fancy it. Mines a six speed with reduced gearing. I feel like i'll wrench the bars off it punting up the 1 in 5 back from the station and my legs are a blur going down it. I want more gear range not less and never mind the weight.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The superlight only has a few Ti parts and doesn't come with a pump (ha!) which accounts for some of the weight saving.
pigman

Post by pigman »

I'd go with GOHughes's idea. its what I sorta want. Weight and foldability with a "decentish handling" ride are my priorities. No gears = no complexities & no weight. Its to get me around if using public transport. Its not my main machine, so a range of gears is secondary - I can freewheel or walk for the bit that I do.