Folding tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnmac

Folding tyres

Post by johnmac »

Many tyres are available in a choice of folding or steel. Since folders are a bit lighter, I'm thinking of making my next set of tyres folding. My question is, is there any disadvantage to folding tyres, other than cost?
Si

Re: Folding tyres

Post by Si »

Not that I've found (apart from cost as you've already stated).

I've heard it mentioned that some folders are harder to get on and of, but my experience is that it's more down to the tyre and rim models than whether they fold or not.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I found that the folding tyre produces shimmy if the bike is fully laden as the sidewalls are less robust than a stiff touring tyre. If not riding laden then I see no problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I understand that shimmy is a frame problem or a bike geometry problem, not a tyre problem. It has been discussed on here at length. I've never suffered from it, so I have no experience of it except from what I've read.

Foldable tyres are exactly the same in the side-wall department, it's just that instead of wire beads, they have Kevlar. This makes them lighter - that's all.

The best thing about foldables, is that on tour, you can take a spare or two very easily indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

MLJ wrote:I found that the folding tyre produces shimmy if the bike is fully laden as the sidewalls are less robust than a stiff touring tyre. If not riding laden then I see no problem.

Care to name the tyre and the rim so that we know what to avoid? An interesting idea, your description implies that the sidewall (and by inference, the tyre bead) are flexing in a resonant feedback. Surely the beading is locked fairly solidly to the rim hook by air pressure? I'm not discounting your experience, just curious to understand why it should occur. Did you alliviate the problem with the same tyre (steel beeded) or a diifferent one?

I did experience a form of shimmy on a light loaded bike with a folding Marathon Racer the other day. It just occurred when I removed one hand from the bars. Nothing serious, more annoying (like 'why is this happening?') and I wondered whether the headset had worked a bit loose. I'd cured a similar shimmy on my other loaded tourer by tightening the headset.

Perhaps there are different types of shimmy. That discribed above (always controllable but can get a bit hair-raising) and the 'white knuckle ride' variety coming from the frame resonating, that thankfully I've never experienced.

Jerry
CJ

Post by CJ »

MLJ wrote:I found that the folding tyre produces shimmy if the bike is fully laden as the sidewalls are less robust than a stiff touring tyre. If not riding laden then I see no problem.

I suspect the folding aspect was incidental to the lighter tyre also having a thinner and/or harder tread, with a weaker damping effect. Someone I know suffered a near-fatal shimmy (thrown from bike, open cranial fracture) on a bike that had never done it before, after fitting a narrower, higher-pressure tyre than he'd previously used on that bike.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

It was a Michellin folding tyre, 700x32. To remove the shimmy I had to inflate to maximum pressure. I usually run my front tyre on 4.5 bar when carrying front panniers as I am lightweight! I had the same problem when first using the Raleigh Royal which initially was fitted with 700x37 town tyres. The shimmy came from the distance between the rim and road, coupled with the sideways give in the tyre, when fully loaded. This was transferred to the frame, but controllable.
heron8888

Post by heron8888 »

is it just me, or have others found that folding tyres ,come off the rim easily,after a fast puncture? I know a few people that have damaged rims .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not me.

Best tyres I've ever had. Vittoria Rubino Pro.
Mick F. Cornwall
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think the most important disadvantage is that when you have a puncture the tyre may come off the rim. In a fast descent, this may be dangerous when it is the front tyre. Therefore, I would not fit a folding tyre as standard, but do not mind taking one along as a spare (I can always fit it on the less dangerous back).
Willem
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

willem jongman wrote:I think the most important disadvantage is that when you have a puncture the tyre may come off the rim.

How?
Why are folding tyres different to non-folding?
Are you saying they are dangerous?
Mick F. Cornwall
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Surely there isn't any difference in the chance of loosing the tyre, because the bead is not stretchy, just flexible?

I mean, the bead is the same circumference as a steel one so unless I'm thinking about this the wrong way around, it won't just come off the rim once on, because in both cases the bead has to be teased over the rim, right? :?

In any case, I have blown out my foldable GP4000s without it doing anything more dramatic than going instantly flat. Anecdotal evidence only, but still.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes EF, that's my take on it too.

The beads on my foldables are Kevlar, and they are held on the rim with as much force as any tyre I've ever had. I fail to see how they are inherently weaker.
Mick F. Cornwall
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I am afraid they do come off more easily, once deflated.
Willem
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

So how do we square the accusation of them coming off more easily after a puncture with that of them being harder to get off when changing tyres? They're totally in conflict and can't both be true.

I've never noticed any difference in use or in ride qualities between folding and non-folding, certainly nothing attributable to the bead, nor can I see any engineering reason for a noticeable functional difference.

If the carcass and tread are the the same, it's a case of paying a little more for a little less weight and much easier portability - as mentioned, they're ideal for spares taken on a trip.