Non-shifting front derailleur... any help here?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TwoPlusTen

Non-shifting front derailleur... any help here?

Post by TwoPlusTen »

Another question...

The front derailleur on my wife's 2008 Rockhopper is not shifting off the largest chain ring. The cable moves when I try to change down, but nothing happens other than the chain loosening slightly and slipping like you'd hear before it changes.

Any suggestions as to what's causing it?

Answers in idiot-proof English please, I'm very not technical...

Thanks all!!
diapason

Re: Non-shifting front derailleur... any help here?

Post by diapason »

Is the cable too slack? Check whether it is actually pulling on the derailleur when you operate the shifter. If it's slack, then the adjustment is obvious: loosen the knut which attaches the cable to thederailleur, pull the cable to take up the slack, and retighten. Or, is the cable jammed or broken? Otherwise, is anything stopping the derailleur moving? maybe a small stone, or perhaps the derailleur itself has become slack and slipped down the downtube to foul the chainring - easy to realign and tighten up.

Good luck,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

diapason wrote:Is the cable too slack? Check whether it is actually pulling on the derailleur when you operate the shifter. If it's slack, then the adjustment is obvious: loosen the knut which attaches the cable to thederailleur, pull the cable to take up the slack, and retighten. Or, is the cable jammed or broken? Otherwise, is anything stopping the derailleur moving? maybe a small stone, or perhaps the derailleur itself has become slack and slipped down the downtube to foul the chainring - easy to realign and tighten up.

Good luck,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your suggestions.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the cable is pulling on the derailleur. Will try that though.
2) The cable is not jammed or broken that I can see. Also nothing stopping the deraileur moving - that i can see at least...
3) There is good clearance from what I can see. Nothing's obviously moved.

Any more thoughts anyone?
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

My rockhopper came with the standard deore front derailer and I had a similar issue.

Under the limit screws there is a black tube covering the spring and as its tight to the spring it fills up with crud. I snapped it off (its not a full tube and can be removed and refitted but sounds like its snapping), cleaned the spring with a toothbrush and WD40, covered with grease and re-fitted the plastics.

Works a lot better now. Dunno if this helps, your mileage may vary, do this at your own risk etc.

David.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Pull on the cable at the derailleur end at the same time operate the changer - see if it moves freely.
Is this a top pull or bottom pull?
If a bottom pull then check where the cable goes under the bottom bracket.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Ask Sheldon.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.