Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeF

Re: Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by MikeF »

Brucey wrote:
MikeF wrote:..... I stand corrected and I note Rosebikes sell them. Schwalbe seem to chop and change their line of tyres and website frequently. Doesn't appear there are folding Marathon Racers now for example, and why do they produce such a large range? Marketing Hype?....

Why so many? -because they can.... Although the moulds for individual tyres are expensive, it is relatively easy to create a huge range of tyres with just a few permutations of the various tyre components. Suppose that you have

- three carcass weights
- six carcass widths
- two different types of puncture protection
- two different bead types
- two different tread patterns per tyre type

then you are already up to 144 different tyres and that is before you start changing the rim size....

cheers
Hmm. Now which one do I want? :? Oh "they" don't stock that one. :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PT1029

Re: Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by PT1029 »

Agree with all comments re cable ties/toe straps etc.
Re comment about too difficult to fit on the road. when new, the m+ tyres have a profile more akin to an arched tunnel. When eventually fitted, you have pushed the beads closer (due to rim) and the profile becomes more that of an omega. After being on the rim for a while, the tyre takes up the omega shape, keeping it even when removed, so is easier to refit at a later date.
I'm assuming here you have a reasonably wide (say 35C) tyre. Narrow ones probably always a pig to fit!