Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:I don't think anyone is advocating removing tyres without using levers (although you often can with looser-fitting MTB tyres). There isn't the same danger of pinch punctures as when fitting.

OK - I feel less inept now.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
philg

Post by philg »

I fitted my M+s to new wheels today, no real problems using the roll the tyre over the rim method after 4 or 5 pushes into the centre all the way round.

One thing that occurred to me though was I don't follow the usual (IIRC) advice to fit the tyre at the valve last - I always start at the valve, in the belief that the last bit is the grief area and struggling with a valve just adds to the difficulty.

Does anyone know why you're supposed to finish at the valve?
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

philg wrote:Does anyone know why you're supposed to finish at the valve?

No - I start at the valve as well, after that the whole wheel is the same, so my theory is that it should be easier than aiming for the valve.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MacBludgeon

Post by MacBludgeon »

Shelodn recommends starting at the valve as this can be hard to get seated at the end. Others, especially with tight tyres, recommend finishing at the valve as it can interfere with getting the tyre into the bottom of the tyre well, when trying to get that final bit on.
nuns, no sense of humour
byegad

Post by byegad »

I start at the valve, do a 1/4 of the rim one way from the valve then go back to te valve and fit the other 3/4. This means the valve area is done first and the final part is not opposite the valve.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
531colin

Post by 531colin »

byegad wrote:You can say it as often as you like 531colin, but I for one and I suspect most posters and readers here have fitted and removed their fair share of tyres and are not stupid.

I can sometimes remove my Big Apple tyres with my hands. Admittedly I prefer to use a plastic lever as it's easier, but it can be done. I routinely fit a Big Apple without a lever. Pasela Panaracer Tourguards are easy too.

But M+s are not as easy and can be right so and sos to get on or off. Yes it can be done, but the only time I've ever broken a tyre lever has been with an M+.

Perfectly placed to advise about fitting M+ tyres, then.
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

...just been to Go Outdoors in Wigan

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/

They have Schwalbe marathon plus 700 x 28 tyres for £19.97 free inner tube included

That's much less than I recently paid for same from an Internet dealer

You need to buy a card from G-O, it costs a couple of quid -- meant to last a year but we are still using the one we got about 4 years ago
Last edited by Jalan on 24 Aug 2011, 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
byegad

Post by byegad »

531colin wrote:
byegad wrote:You can say it as often as you like 531colin, but I for one and I suspect most posters and readers here have fitted and removed their fair share of tyres and are not stupid.

I can sometimes remove my Big Apple tyres with my hands. Admittedly I prefer to use a plastic lever as it's easier, but it can be done. I routinely fit a Big Apple without a lever. Pasela Panaracer Tourguards are easy too.

But M+s are not as easy and can be right so and sos to get on or off. Yes it can be done, but the only time I've ever broken a tyre lever has been with an M+.

Perfectly placed to advise about fitting M+ tyres, then.

Yes. In one word.

Don't
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
105champ

Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by 105champ »

Anyone used both the marathon and the plus's and noticed much difference? I've used the marathon plus before and although they didn't seat that well, they rolled well and are clearly tough. I'm off to Africa soon and am leaning toward just using Marathon's which are still very sturdy, slightly lighter and cheaper. The reason being that a local london bike shop, that's building some wheels for me repeatedly have issues of punctures on marathon plusses caused ironically by drawing pins, if the smarguard rubber isn't really that effective, is it worth having?
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

never had puncture with M plus after more than 1000km but did with normal M. after only 200Km. Plus shows no wear whereas normal ones have chips on them etc. There must be difference in longevity especially if the tarmac quality is not great such as in 3rd world countries.
philg

Re: Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by philg »

105champ wrote:Anyone used both the marathon and the plus's and noticed much difference?

Yes, Marathons are very ordinary IME for p*nct*r* protection though they are tough.

M+ are the ultimate if reliability is your prime requirement, which I guess for a tour of Africa, it probably is!.

I use 700c x 25 M+ which are not as eye-wateringly heavy as the larger sizes and can take higher pressures, so they do roll quite well

PS -I reckon Marathon Supremes are better for p*nct*r* protection than standard Marathons, and they are faster and lighter - though not as tough - you pays yer money.....!
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
531colin

Post by 531colin »

On Spa Cycle's website there is now a video of how to fit these tyres.
Guess who the funny- looking old guy is?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Excellent video. For the first time in my life I put a tyre on in less than half an hour.
jonty
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

531colin wrote:On Spa Cycle's website there is now a video of how to fit these tyres.
Guess who the funny- looking old guy is?

I've just watched it (didn't listen - no speakers on this computer).

Man in striped shirt and nightcap with big chin and big nose, runs on stage and shouts "That's the way to do it, that's the way to do it!" in a squeaky voice and bashes everybody on head with truncheon.

I've stopped posting about fitting tyres without using levers because of the number of people it seems to offend. Would it be possible for the admin / mods to post the link to that video permanently somewhere?

Well done, 531colin. 8)
PS I see you start from the valve, in common with a certain Sheldon Brown and another funny-looking old guy... :wink: