Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tail End Charlie

Re: Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by Tail End Charlie »

Another thumbs up for the video, 531Colin. I use the toe strap idea but have always ended up using a lever at the end. Next time will do your tip. Thankyou.
Si

Post by Si »

thirdcrank wrote:Would it be possible for the admin / mods to post the link to that video permanently somewhere?

Your wish is my doo-dar. Have copied the whole thing to "Technical - TGTL", and have amended the opening post to include a link to the video.
spanner

Post by spanner »

i bought 7ooc x23 tyres for a pair of wheels i built for a peugeot aspin racer i bought(original rear wheel rim was buckled) and had a hell of a problem getting them to fit
i had a simlar problem with dsi 27x11/4 tyres a couple of years ago but found that after they had been on for a while and ridden on the tyre actually stretched
i also found that deflating the tyre once a month and reinflating it slightly above the max pressure (by 1 psi) also helped
i also took the wheels off after the tyres had been on for three months and deflated the tyres and removed them and swopped front to rear and also reversed the tyre so it ran in a different direction to previously(the same as car owners used to do by rotating the tyres around)
the tyres came off the rims ok and fitted easier than when they were new
hope this tip helps
spanner

Post by spanner »

i used to go to a bike shop in Dundee for my bike stuff and the owner could fit a tyre in 3 minutes
he showed me how to fit a tyre without using tyre levers and i was 14 at the time and still use the method he showed me
as regards mtb tyres
yes you can pull an mtb tyre off without tyre levers as ive done it place the tyre against your stomach
and pull on the tyre and it comes off in one unit
this can only be done with mtb tyres which have been on a wheel for some time and have lost the stiffness which new tyres have
a_spanner_short

Post by a_spanner_short »

My stepdad taught me to fit bike tyres by rolling the bead over the rim and it's worked for me even with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. After suffering puncture after puncture on other makes including a so-called puncture resistant tyre I swear by these tyres and fit nothing else in both 700c and 26" size on my wife's and my own bikes.

We have never experienced a puncture since fitting but it would have to be severe damage to penetrate the shield and hence probably unlikely to repair at the roadside so removing them shouldn't really be an issue.

As for tyre lubricant I find that Swarfega is quite effective in an emergency if you don't have the proper stuff but do dilute it well first, and wash off well after use. Cleans the grease off the rims too!

I read recently that Raleigh were taking over the distribution of Schwalbe, I don't know if that will make a difference to their availability, I hope not anyway.
peevafred

Post by peevafred »

Jalan wrote:Decided to go for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for my Giant CRS Zero
Kept to the same size as originals 700 x 28
After reading this thread fitted them OK using a couple of plastic ties

Jalan, dari pada mana jalan berlajar Bahasa Malayu?
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

peevafred
I've sent you a pm
trickletreat

Post by trickletreat »

531colin wrote:On Spa Cycle's website there is now a video of how to fit these tyres.
Guess who the funny- looking old guy is?

I have only just found this thread, and have been aware of peoples probs taking off and refitting these, which has been nagging at me as I run some rims, trikes/bikes on M+.

Bit the bullet and went and took the M+ off 20" and 26" rims and refitted. All done in 20mins, and no ties used either...I have poor strength in my hands, upper body, just followed the advice re the bead. EXCELLENT and many thanks!
Godders1

Post by Godders1 »

Having struggled with Marathon pluses last time I’m really glad I found this thread. I used 2 cable ties (the 2nd about a third of the way around the rim from the first) and fitted two tyres in about 5-10 minutes (compared with about an hour each last time!).
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Post by bigbloke »

hm,.... am considering fitting M+ tyres to my "new" bike when it arrives in a few days ...sounds like its time to go to the gym and develop
"stranglers thumbs"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards

BB
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

Up-date, I've still got the sameSchwalbe Marathon Plus tyres fitted

Never had a Macbeth, now I don't carry a repair kit or air inflator such is my confidence

Every couple of weeks or so I check the pressure - keeping them both to about 90/95 psi
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

:) Have a nice bath ... read a bit ..wash your hair ... then pop the tyres in the bath and they will just drop on .... Puncture on the road? No probs just wet them and they slide on fine ... ...choose any liquid that comes to hand .. :) Works fine for me!
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

Tyres in bath might be OK in Yorkshire......

They come off easy enough, getting them back the problem is stopping them falling off the rims
That's what the plastic ties are for -- I don't have old toe-clip straps
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

We've only just stopped keeping coal in the bath ... :)
nes

Post by nes »

we had the opposite problem in our workshop the other day. Someone came in with a M+ tyre (correct size + width for the rim- surprisingly) and the tyre kept popping back out as soon as it was pumped up. It wouldn't stay in the rim at all. We even put zip ties all the way around and then pumped it up and it still came out of the rim. We wondered if anyone else had this problem or whether it was a rogue tyre?!