freehub removal - not 10mm or 12mm?!?!?!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lauriematt

freehub removal - not 10mm or 12mm?!?!?!

Post by lauriematt »

hi guys. trying to remove the freehub off my wheel.

bike is Specialized Sirrus 2006 - basic model. wheels are ALEX RIMS DA16.

i tried a 10mm allen key - too small.
i tried a 12mm allen key - too big.

when i tried an 11mm key it was still about half a milimetre too small. when i put some real welly on it the key just slipped inside the bolt - and is starting to round off at the edges!

the inside of the bolt isn't 6 sided - but more like 12 sided (though i havent counted)

any suggestions on how to remove the freehub?

thanxs
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
prm

Re: freehub removal - not 10mm or 12mm?!?!?!

Post by prm »

I would have thought 12mm?? Or a specialized adaptor.

Try driving a tapered thin blade screwdriver alongside one of the flats of the 11mm to lock into place.

Regards
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are you turning it the right way?

Are freehub fixings not LH thread? They are on Campag.
Mick F. Cornwall
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've got one exactly the same - I suspect it's 7/16". I'll try to slip out tomorrow and buy a 7/16" allen key, and keep you posted.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If it is 12 sided then it will be something called xzn not allen. Some cars have these bolts to hold the head down. Bits are made to fit a 1/2" socket set for and a 12mill one will be about 3 quid from a motor factors.

Edit just looked up web prices and this place are doing a set for 17.00 reduced from 35 - think I'll get one as these things will become more and more common and it will work out cheapers than buying them as and when. It's draper too which ain't bad quality - as good as snap-off anyway.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-6 ... it-set.asp
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

just to update....

going to take the wheel into LBS tomorrow and get them to fit a standard freehub. will cost more than i wanted but i should at least be able to service the wheel myself without any unusual tools needed

currently running front 700c wheel - rear 26" :evil:

not a good look
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

been for advice to LBS....instead of the taking the bolt out from the right drive side....you use a 12mm on the left side of the wheel where there is a 6-sided edge to the bolt
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Just for the archive ... mine removed from the left hand side, with a 7/16" hex key. And - just to keep me on my toes - it's a left hand thread.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nirakaro wrote:JAnd - just to keep me on my toes - it's a left hand thread.

Thought so!
Mick F. Cornwall
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

nirakaro wrote:Just for the archive ... mine removed from the left hand side, with a 7/16" hex key. And - just to keep me on my toes - it's a left hand thread.

i was unsure of the thread....tried it both ways and something shifted. didnt have a vice so used an extra long pole and ended up snapping it in half from brute force :lol:

so as the NON - drive side of the wheel is facing you (i.e.left side)...do you turn the bolt clockwise or anti clockwise???

thanxs
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I know different makes and models may be different, but my Campag Chorus has LH thread on drive side and RH thread on non-drive side. However, my Campag Mirage has cassette bearings, rather than cup and cone, so is different again - and I've never stripped it. I may have a play later.

However, I'll stick my neck out and say that if either thread is LH, it will be the drive-side only.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.
Just checked my Campag Mirage. The non-drive side unscrews and you drive out the shaft through the freewheel. Completely different.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

My Shimano Freehubs are standard threads. So if you could get to them from the left side, you would turn clockwise to undo.
Yma o Hyd
diamondo48

Post by diamondo48 »

Hi,

I have a Roubaix 2010 with Shimano 105. I'm looking to remove the freehub, as I think there's too much play in it. Cassette off, end caps off - I've nothing left to undo! There's no six-sided edge inside axle - it's smooth. It will not pull off, so what's holding it on? I hear that some freehubs need a "special shimano freehub removal tool", but not sure if that applies to mine. There are some sealed bearings around the axle, but should I lift up the bigger rubber seal in front of that? Looks easy to damage.

As with some of the other comments on the forum - I'm amazed (read: disappointed) in how often this needs some attention for a Roubaix, which is designed for long distances?

Any thoughts welcome!
Attachments
hub.jpg
hub.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 10440 times