Rust under chrome on my forks - any suggestions?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
frank9755

Rust under chrome on my forks - any suggestions?

Post by frank9755 »

I've just got a second hand bike which I am going to be doing up over the next couple of months for my wife. It's a Raleigh Royal with a ladies frame. I estimated it to be about 15 years old and is in pretty reasonable condition. One of the things I particularly liked about it were the chromed forks. However, having looked at them a little more closely, there's a bit of rust underneath them. I thought it was just a couple of very small spots but when I rubbed them with my fingers, some more patches of the chrome came away showing the rust underneath.

I think it's only perhaps 10% of the area of the forks and is not very deep, so I'm happy that they are still structurally sound, but wondered what best to do. Does anyone have any views on how to treat rust under chrome plate, apart from the normal method of rubbing it back to clean metal and re-painting? Am I best hacking off all the chrome in case it's more extensive?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rust under chrome on my forks - any suggestions?

Post by Mick F »

I don't think you can win with chrome. Once it starts to pit and flake, it will spread.

I have a Mixte Elswick that had chrome forks. I had the whole frame, forks and all, sandblasted and powder-coated. It looks great, only cost £30 all in, and is a good solid finish.
Mick F. Cornwall
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

It sounds like a joke but it isn't, rub gently over the rusted area with scrunched up tin foil dipped in Coke. Repeat a few times then polish, it works wonders, honestly!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

frank9755 wrote: when I rubbed them with my fingers, some more patches of the chrome came away showing the rust underneath.

I understand Coke and foil work a treat, so does chrome polish.

But nothing will stick the chrome back on.
Mick F. Cornwall
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Thanks for the comments.

Deciding whether to get an old bike re-sprayed / powder coated is an interesting question. I do think there is something nice about the original paint, decals and the aged look however, as you point out, Mick, it can cost a lot less than one would think, and less than buying abrasives, polish and touch up paint! Maybe it might be worth getting just the the forks of this bike done...? I'll have to have another look at them and think about it!