Ergo repair

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PW

Ergo repair

Post by PW »

Just done it.
I'd like to thank Mick & Graham for information, I used youtube, Campyonly and a set of instructions on a website by Nuttycyclist.
Now for a celebration cup of coffee! :D
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ergo repair

Post by Mick F »

Well done!

Easy?
I'm sure it was! Enjoy the coffee!
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

Winding up that top spring is awkward the first time. I'll know in future and the next one will be a lot quicker.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

When I did mine I put in the plate that covers the spring in upside down. You can only tell when you look at the slight indent that touches the spring. It wouldn't shift more than two clicks. It took alot of frustration and constantly trying to figure out why the shifter hated me before I figured it out. But after that it was easy! :roll:
Just Rob please.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Well done PW. It's a pretty satisfying task to master.

Looks like I'll be changing my Ergo G-springs soon too. . . . third or forth time now.
Woodbridge Pete

Post by Woodbridge Pete »

It's certainly very satisfying to be able to repair the shifters. I put new springs in a LH lever for my wifes bike and a few years ago had to replace the button on the lever after a bad crash.

Recently replaced the bearings in the freehub - fairly easy to do and saves a tidy sum as well.
Revenge is sweet, but nicer served with custard
PW

Post by PW »

Incidentally, I did the r/h lever, the left one is still clicking. I took the precaution of buying the springs, does anyone think it's a good idea to overhaul both levers together?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've did my Mirage ones once, and also converted them to 10sp from 9sp, then back to 9sp again to sell them. My present 10sp Chorus ones are ok at the mo, but eventually they'll need new G springs. I've not thought about the LH Ergo, perhaps as the thing moves through so many degrees of arc, it isn't so critical if it slips the odd click.

Anyway, when I need new G springs, I'll get a few sets so keep me going. LH and RH ones are the same, but opposite, so perhaps I may get two sets of RH and one set of LH .........
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

PW wrote:Incidentally, I did the r/h lever, the left one is still clicking. I took the precaution of buying the springs, does anyone think it's a good idea to overhaul both levers together?

My LH lever gets relatively far less use than the RH one. I will only fix the LH when it needs it.
I don't think that there is any efficiency benefit in doing them together . . . i.e doing both is twice as much work.
PW

Post by PW »

Thanks gentlemen. I was wondering if one going meant the other wouldn't be far behind. Obviously not (crosses all fingers and toes!). :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've just ordered 2 pairs of RH G Springs. EC-RE209
http://www.sidcupcycles.co.uk/productde ... ctid=01966
The P+P is a bit steep at £4.99, but it was easy to order.

I ordered two pairs to make the order up a bit, and in another couple of years, they'll need doing again of course. £11.35 including P+P for the two pairs.

My Chorus Ergos have done over 6,500 miles, and the RH one gets some stick! The LH one does too of course - I'm up and down the triple all the time. The LH Ergo doesn't need the indexing like the RH, so it doesn't matter if it isn't as clicky as it should be.

My RH Ergo seems to be losing its accuracy. It clicks ok sometimes, but at other times it seems rather "soft" and un-positive. I did have an issue with frayed inner cable and hoped that would cure the problem, but 6,500 miles has taken its toll.

I await my new springs, but won't pull anything apart until they arrive.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I've got 2 to see to. The R/H lever on the Centaurs from my tourer spat out the tiny coil spring wheich sits in front of the big shift lever and the L/H Chorus from the 953 snapped the shift lever, which I'm beginning to believe is fairly common for the plastic lever types. Along with getting the Schmidt sent to Germany that's my bike jobs for this spring.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They've just this minute arrived by UK Mail. One small Campag box in a big envelope that could have just had a 1st Class stamp on it. No wonder Sidcup Cycles charge £4.99 P+P.

Any road up, excellent service, 24 hours after the order was sent - to me getting my sticky mitts on them.

Busy for the rest of the day, ditto all day tomorrow, so it looks like Saturday for the job.

Unlike you, PW, I can't wait until spring ........
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I've got to. Daughter's getting hitched so I'm skint! :oops:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ergo in bits, and horrors!!!! :shock:

Broken spring carrier!
Spring Carrier.JPG
I tried repairing it with super glue, but it wouldn't hold against the springs. I've reassembled with new G springs and it sounds and feels better than it did, though I've not re-fitted to the bike.

EC-RE111 RH Spring Carrier
Ergo.jpg

I looked on the Sidcup Cycles website and they are at £1.53, but with £4.99 P+P (again) it seems a bit steep.

I phoned Mercian, they do them for £3.99 but won't do a telephone order for less than a tenner. I need to speak again now that I've thought about what I can order from them to make the order up - a set of Ergo inners. I'll phone shortly. Sidcup Cycles don't seem to do anything else I want, but I wish I'd have known there was a defect in the Ergo before, I could have ordered it at the same time as the G springs.

Oh well.

There's no point my putting the Ergo back on the bike when it's not perfect, I'd only have to take it off again.
Mick F. Cornwall