Ergo repair

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Graham

Re: Ergo repair

Post by Graham »

Bad luck Mick. I've had one of those ring-splits before , a few years ago.

From my vague memories . . . . . . . .

I was forewarned of the ring-split problem by one of the websites ( possibly CampyOnly ).
It was said to be a characteristic of the Ergo levers from around that time circa 2000.
At some time later the spring-holder ring was redesigned to much reduce the possibility of such splits.

In theory, the later levers should be more reliable in this respect and any replacement spring holders should be the newer type.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been for a ride today, and the Ergo is better than it was, but not right.

I decided to re-fit the Ergo as the day was ok for a ride, tomorrow and Tuesday too, and I don't want to just sit tight and wait for the new spring holder to arrive. Mercian will be posting the holder and I bought a set of Campag cable inners to make up the order. I don't need the inners, but I will do eventually.

When the bits arrive, the Ergo will be put back to 'perfect' asap. I like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOfgqiiZtY
Chorus is basically the same as Record complete with the ball bearings in the Ergo shaft. Lower groups just have bushes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for that. It is the clearest demonstration that I have seen so far.

It also confirms that the EXACT position of the components at each stage of the assembly is the key to success . . . .they make it look so easy !!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's eyesight and light level that gets me. My fingers are chunky, though accurate with things, but eyesight at my great age is becoming a problem despite spending hundreds of pounds on glasses!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

New spring carrier arrived today, so it's "Ergo Off and Repair it Day" tomorrow. I'll be having my laptop tuned into YouTube and my finger will be hovering over the pause button .........
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done it.

I'll check them out properly tomorrow with a good ride, but as a first "feel", they are so much better!
Mick F. Cornwall