roadster: can't release front derailer cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geekpie2

roadster: can't release front derailer cable

Post by geekpie2 »

Hi
I am doing up an 80s roadster for someone.
I cannot release the front derailer cable at the derailer. I have undone the nut that holds the pinch bolt tight against the derailer, but the pinch bolt still doesn't move so the cable is still held tight.

Is there a knack to doing this?
cycleruk

Re: roadster: can't release front derailer cable

Post by cycleruk »

Have you tried "teasing" :lol: the pinch bolt with pliers? It will be corroded / jammed inplace. A gentle bit of brute force.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geekpie2

Post by geekpie2 »

Thanks.

Not really. I tried tapping the bolt "tail" a few times with a hammer. I can try that.

Is this pinch bolt not threaded all the way on 80s roadsters? Are you not meant to be able to take the nut right off?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I've only one bike with a pinch bolt and never had to touch it yet.
But I would expect the nut to come off. (thinking it must have been put on in the first place. :?: )
Again try with pliers.
Once the nut is loose, pull it and turn with the pliers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

As per cycleUk but a squirt of WD40 or Plus Gas first. Try warming it as well, boiling water is usually enough to Split steel and Ally but won't damage the frame. If all else fails hacksaw the bit you don't mind losing
NUKe

Post by fixer »

Front mech on a "roadster"?

These are roadsters:
geekpie2

Post by geekpie2 »

You're right: it's not a roadster. Let's call it an 80s sports bike.

Good point: if the nut went onto the pinch bolt, it must come off. But there's something odd about it. You turn the nut so far, then it keeps turning but doesn't travel any further down the pinch bolt.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sounds like the bolt has stripped threads at the point where the nut turns and won't move anymore. Saw it off , you should be able to get another from an old fashioned bike shop and failing that it's easy enough to make another from a (preferably stainless) bolt of the right diameter. Take the dimensions from the existing bolt and just drill a hole in the new bolt at the same place as in the old. if the existing bolts has flats where it passes through the mechanism you'll need to put them on the new with a file or a grinder.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker