Dating a Dawes Galaxy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saudidave

Dating a Dawes Galaxy

Post by saudidave »

I would like to know the approx age of the Dawes Galaxy I've just bought. I cannot find a stamped on number anywhere, but there is a small white sticker under the BB with the number 00231314 on it.

It is a dark green (metallic) one and and has an STX groupset with down tube shifters. There was one in the for sale board on here last week with identical livery, so I susppect mine is the same age as that one, i.e. 1994
Last edited by saudidave on 30 May 2009, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Re: Dating a Dawes Galaxy

Post by thirdcrank »

saudidave

The question has come up on here before about dating Dawes frames from numbers and I think a summary of the feedback from people who have tried, including by contacting the company is that no records survive of UK production and none were kept of imported frames. I think the best anybody has managed was to post a pic and people have dated it either from the equipment or being able to say 'That's the same as mine and it was new in ****'

The fact that Dawes' specs change fundamentally from year to year seems to have helped with that process. (Unless somebody knows more .... :?: )
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

My Super Galaxy has the year of manufacture included in a transfer at the bottom of the seat tube - it's a 1997 model. Haven't looked closely at others to see if this practice is current or commenced before 1997
Retired and loving it
Si

Post by Si »

My Super Galaxy has the year of manufacture included in a transfer at the bottom of the seat tube

i think that mine has it on a sticker too - 1991
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

So, The frame number isn't stamped on, it's in a "sticker" inside the paint thickness.

1 Will it come off if I hit it with Nitromors paint stripper (I'm considering a full respray)

2 Has anyone concluded any sequence from the numbers? Mine is 00231314 = 92?02?

A recent bike for sale in the sales section of this forum was a '94 model and that had identical paint colour and decals as mine, so I am thinking mine is about 94 too!
angliatv

Post by angliatv »

Miine has a '97' sticker on the seat tube which dates it to 1997. You can check it out in my sig or a full set of photos here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angliatv/s ... 474133292/

Ed
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

I have managed to get my hands on a Dawes Galaxy 531 st frame at Bikeworks but going to get a respray, the original colour is Midnight blue and has canti fittings but only one set of bosses on the downtube for a bottle, not sure of the date as it's a bit rusted and the decals are hard to read. Anyone got an idea with the colour for the year...has a 1 inch headset so am assuming pre 1999 :?:

P.S. it is gold lug lining and had DAWES engraved on top of seat stays also painted in gold. I meant to look at the badge but forgot. I am sure it is one that is riveted to the headset.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's pre 1996, but post 1987 if that helps and it isn't 1991. The number of gears if original helps.

Edit: it's a 1986.PS Are you sure about the canti fittings?
Last edited by horizon on 13 Oct 2011, 1:54pm, edited 3 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
karlt

Post by karlt »

Re: Dating a Dawes Galaxy.

Take it to an early sitting at a nice restaurant, then perhaps to a good movie (tip - you might like horror movies and sci-fi, but you can't assume your date does. Chick flicks are generally safe even if you get bored), Suggest a couple of pints to round the evening off and then see how you feel about developing the relationship further.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's a 1986 but those aren't canti fitings.

You will have problems with the 27" wheels and narrow OLN unless you're planning a fixie. Are you sure it's worth it?
Last edited by horizon on 13 Oct 2011, 1:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

I once dated a Pashley but she turned out to be a Surly Trucker.
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

horizon wrote:It's pre 1996, but post 1987 if that helps and it isn't 1991. The number of gears if original helps.

Edit: it's a 1986.

PS Are you sure about the canti fittings?

Yep defo canti fittings which I am going to put my V-brakes on to. I think probably the original had a 6 block at the back and double on the front.
Getting 27 inch wheels is not a problem......loads of them in Bikeworks that have been rebuilt if I am stuck. I never even thought about measuring the wheel size....maybe the cantis were put on later for 700c :?: Not sure Anyway the respray is getting done by a friend ar cost so £100 all in is a snip.frame and powder coating
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, the original was 6 x 2 - I will leave it to others to comment on the availability of new 6 speed blocks etc. These bikes are often converted to single speed as you know which gets round any such problems.

I was just thinking: if the canti/V bosses have been brazed on it may be that they were positioned for 700c wheels so it may be worth checking this before rushing out for 27s. I think there are a couple of threads on here about lever pull for converting to Vs.

Does it still have the D/T levers?
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

horizon wrote:Yes, the original was 6 x 2 - I will leave it to others to comment on the availability of new 6 speed blocks etc. These bikes are often converted to single speed as you know which gets round any such problems.

I was just thinking: if the canti/V bosses have been brazed on it may be that they were positioned for 700c wheels so it may be worth checking this before rushing out for 27s. I think there are a couple of threads on here about lever pull for converting to Vs.

Does it still have the D/T levers?

The guy at Bikeworks is going to check sizes out for me and 6 blocks are no problem either. I have a source for shimano tourney 6 blocks and 6 speed sis levers.if I get stuck for anything bikeworks can source stuff easier than the LBS..and yep...got the bosses for the D/T levers. I already have Tektro v-brake levers specifically for drops.

Thanks for the input :)

P.S. Re the brakes......from what I gather there is 4 mm radius difference between 700c and 27s......might be touch and go depending on gap for the up and down movement on the brake...I measured mine and the gap is 3.5 mm.but with some filing it might be done, as long as I don't file too thin that it falls apart
York Commuter

Post by York Commuter »

Kiltie 12

regarding the Galaxy fram:

Cantilever brakes were used in confunction with the 27" wheels, however as you pont out the 4mm difference in radius between a 27 and a 700c is small. I have succesfully built a 27" frame up with 700c wheels, I used Shimano's old wide profile cantis and got acceptable set up.

Be aware though theat the canti bosses might be too close to allow you to use v-brakes in conjunction with a resonably wide wheels. In my experience it will be the front brake that will have too small a clearance. I'm afraid I've never worked out what the optimum width for bosses and v-brakes is but a quick measure of the centre to centre spacing on a well set up bike with v-brakes will give you a pointer.

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!