Breaking in Brooks Saddles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
blackie

Re:Breaking in Books Saddles

Post by blackie »

Sorry Mike that should have read Neatsfoot. From your local stables or equestrian shop. Literally place the saddle upside down in the well of foil, fill it for the required length of time, put old shorts on and ride. Pour the excess back in the tin for treating when required. By the way mine is a B17 special. Paul Basildon
mike

Post by mike »

Good evening Blackie,
I have found out that my Brooks seat is a model that is called champion narrow am exchanging for standard, from my dealer f.o.c Presume things may improve, excuse the pun
SR

Post by SR »

Firstly DON'T use neatsfoot oil. If softens the leather BUT it will just keep on stretching forever (and will stain the light coloured models) rather than shaping to fit your saddle interface. Use Proofide like B recommend.

I once had a B Professional (which I ruined with the neatsfoot on the recommendation of **** in bike shop). After a number of years I realised why those big copper rivets were always nicely polished - I'd been sitting on the metal bit at the back for a few thousand miles..... B17 Standard is wider and allows me to sit on the slightly softer leather.

Steve
blackie

Post by blackie »

SR.
Thanks for the advice. As I said it worked for me but stated it may not be right for everyone. I am pleased with your advice as I am about to purchase the honey version for my Mercian and would rather not discolour it. I have not noticed any problems since breaking my B special in but will keep an eye on it. I do now use proofhide to pep it up. Paul Basildon.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

try nikwax the stuff used for walking boots,smells & feels the same as proofhide but you get about three times as much for same outlay.
I believe I spoiled 3 brooks saddles by pre softening with a rolling pin.
The best way i think is to ride them in you don't want the saddle to soft just the right shape.
PW

Post by PW »

If you have a good comfy one then by all means use Proofide & just ride it in. If you are unfortunate enough to have a rock hard horror then there's nothing to lose. Plug the holes in the top with plasticene or similar, turn it upside down to make a gravy boat, then fill it with liquid Nikwax & allow it to soak in. Buff the top with solid Nikwax to stop the other stuff ruining your shorts. I did this with a batch of 6 30 years ago. The ones I don't have anymore all died from broken rails - the chromed type - the rest are still fine & in daily use.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yes PW the only brookes ones i've broken have had chrome rails,i believe chrome plating softens the steel
shirleywhite

Post by shirleywhite »

Just to add my 2p's worth! Got 3 Brooks Team Pro's - 2 "ordinary" black ones and a Brown/Honey coloured one. Oldest is about 20 yrs -youngest about 11/12 yrs. First one I used Proofide on - small amount on top - let dry then polished up. On underside smeared quite a lot initially. Then repeated whole process every month or two. Reasonably supple saddle- but not too soft - very comfortable ride.

Second one - initial Proofide like no 1 - but read somewhere about Neatfoot oil. Tried this. Boiled up lots and smeared all over no2. Seemed to soften things up too much IMHO. Saddle needed regular tensioning otherwise "dips" in it . Now at end of tension bolt - rides ok but wish hadnt used Neatfoot quite so much.

Last one is the "Honey"!! Initial dressing with Proofide again - then small amounts every couple of months. Retained basic shape much better than no2 - but somehow the most comfortable of the 3. Only thing was the "honey" colour rapidly darkened and almost black now.

As earlier posters hint - I reckon there is quite an "individual" thing about leather saddles - some seem to be harder/softer than others and take more ( or less) breaking in etc etc. BUT..... bottom line is (sorry,couldnt resist that!) when you get a good 'un ..........there's nothing to beat it in the world!!!! (IMHO!!)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I like SR's expression 'saddle interface' presumably as in he doesn't know his saddle interface from his ar....m joint.
Cartoonman

Re: Breaking in Books Saddles

Post by Cartoonman »

I bought a professional select in about 1980 (at least that's the date stamped on the saddle frame) it was like concrete. I put it in a warm oven then pained it in neatfoot oil. It turned my trousers and pants black and was still solid. I hit it with a hammer to form to slight hollows where my bones go and it was bearable. In the end I bought an Italia saddle with an aluminium frame that was much lighter and so much more comfortable. I still use the Brooks on my second bike. I recently had it repaired as one of the copper rivets was pulling out. Brooks did a good job for £8? I think. Brooks say don't use neatsfoot oil. It's still rock hard after 38 years. I saw an old gent looking at it saying I haven't seen one of those in years. They are prone to bring stolen so take care.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

pwa

Post by pwa »

My own experience is that they break in without applying anything special, and the real danger is over-application of Proofide to the point where the saddle flops. Better to keep all that stuff to a minimum and just be patient.
jerg

Post by jerg »

I've just started breaking in my second one.

I Proofride'd it with the sachet which came with it and now doing short rides of about an hour and then will build up the time/mileage.

On my first saddle, I over did the first ride and suffered. No issues so far with this one.
MikeF

Re: Breaking in Brooks Saddles

Post by MikeF »

I think as the saddles are made of a natural material they all vary slightly. I haven't had a problem breaking in Brooks saddles - they've all seemed good from the start and not needed much, but we're all different. The only way you know is to try one, but I would only use Proofide, and not neatsfoot oil or any thing else as you can make it too soft.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
rjb

Re: Breaking in Brooks Saddles

Post by rjb »

If you can manage a little reading about the trials and tribulations of saddles and breaking in there is some useful information on this blog from trike owner Chris.
https://pedal-trikes.blogspot.com/search?q=saddle
enjoy.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D