Pashley Guv'nor

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TheJollyJimLad

Pashley Guv'nor

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

The week before last I was commuting home on a Specialized Tricross when a motorist decided to turn right into a junction across my path. Although I tried to turn with him I decided to smash his windscreen with my face and do a rather good Starsky and Hutch bonnet roll. The bike was written off but fortunately nothing on me was broken.

As I was lying on the tarmac waiting for the ambulance (lots of incredibly helpful people rushed to my aid) I reflected on the fact that my cycling wardrobe was getting increasingly festooned with lycra and I was getting faster and faster in my commuting time switching from Sustrans path to the road. The thing is, I want to enjoy the commute again and go at a more leisurely pace wearing normal clothing should the pub beckon - it should be a lovely 12 mile run from Worthing to Brighton. Whilst convalescing, I went through some old catalogues I picked up from last years Cycle show and saw the 3 speed Pashley Guv'nor http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html. And fell in love (but not as much as with the soon to be Mrs TheJollyJimLad, I have to make that clear) :D .

I've read the odd review and comment and they all seemed to say the same thing - "I'd love to have one as it is beautiful but couldn't find a use for it". I think I have found the ideal use for it though - there's only one hill climb in Hove as the rest is on the seafront and the 3 speed hub gears and relaxed angles are ideal.

Has anyone got a Guv'nor that they ride on a regular basis? I would like some opinions as whether i should go for it or should I slap myself round the face and get something normal?!
random37

Re: Pashley Guv'nor

Post by random37 »

They're fabulous, and eminently suitable for what you want to do. I have to say, though, that they are only copies of bikes you can easily buy secondhand. Here's my commuter, which is the real thing:

It goes beautifully, brakes are rubbish but it's great fun and all other things being equal a mountain bike with gnarly tyres would not have a hope of keeping up with it. As a conversation piece, it cuts any modern bike dead. I took it into a bike shop the other day, and the bloke behind the counter said "you've brought a smile to my face, there.". Can you get a better compliment than that?
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

Chris

It's brought a smile to my face too. Brilliant! And it does look great fun.
I'm test riding a Guv'nor on Friday but I'll definately keep an eye open for secondhand in the meantime.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I built my own around a genuine 1920-30 frame (a bike that I'd bought for spares but didn't have the heart to throw away the frame). New SA hubs with drum brakes, alloy 28 inch rims, stainless spokes, schwalbe delta cruiser tyres, Brooks saddle, handpainted and gold lined (by me :roll: ), Williams chainset, North Road bars and reversed levers. Rides beautifully too - probably stands me at a tad less than £300, which is a lot less than a Pashley. I could have saved more had I repainted the original 28 inch rims (but they were earmarked for another vintage Triumph project from around 1900).
Causes quite a stir when I cruise by other commuters on my to work :shock:
I find that the three speed is more than enough - gearing is 48/22, which gives a relaxed top and a useful low for the hills we have.
Steve
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm looking for! I can't wait to test ride the Guv'nor on friday but it would appear I'm testing for riding position as secondhand is definately the option. £825 is a big ask for a new Pashley (particularly as I'm getting married in September) but the secondhand route gives me the chance to add a Carradice Saddlebag too without smashing the bank to bits.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I believe Pashley have a waiting list, so you won't get your bike for a few weeks as it is made to order.

If you aren't bothered about classic styling then there's lots of singlespeed frames about now that will take a geared hub.

(This is what I use my SRAM imotion 9 geared hub with):

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat

These are more classically styled but disc brakes only:

http://www.singularcycles.com/bikes.htm
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

I'll be really interested to hear how your test ride goes.

When I was deciding what bike to get through the cycle2work scheme, I was sorely tempted to go for the Guv'nor. On looks alone, it was love at first sight. But it seemed a bit overpriced and, in the end, my head won out over my heart and I ended up with a Pearson Touche. Much as I like the Touche, I do get a twinge of regret every time I see the Guv'nor sitting in the bike shop.

Now I'm keeping my eye out for an old roadster to play with. Or maybe I'll wait and get a Guv'nor next year. :D
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

Well, I went to sunny crawley and had a ride around the car park opposite Evans Cycles.

It really is a thing of beauty! The angles and riding position certainly encourage relaxed, but not sluggish, cycling and the tyres and saddles make it very smooth indeed. I'd never ridden this style of bicycle before but certainly will again in the future. :D
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I fancy one of these too. So I have priced up the componentry to build a replica to the same spec based on a classic 50s/60s 531 lugged frame and it comes out like this.

Single speed £676
3 speed £668
5 speed £715
8 speed £765

This assumes £30 to source frame plus £40 to powder coat and £20 for transfers. Obviously custom paint jobs would cost more. Hubs are Sturmey Archer with drum brakes. Shimano Acera Brake levers, Rims are Wolber Super Champion 27" (wheels handbuilt by SJS). Brookes B17 saddle, leather handlebar grips & toestraps with Christophe Toe Clips. Alloy North Road bends with GB stem. Shimano Alfine chainset with MKS Sylvan pedals. Michelin World Tour Tyres. Add a bit for cables etc.

Going for 700C rather than 27"x1 1/4 would give a much wider choice of rims and tyres. I didn't fancy the Westwood 28x 1 1/2 rims, as fitted by Pashley, but they are available and slightly cheaper than the Wolbers.

These are retail prices and saves over £100 if you don't mind a pleasant day assembling the machine. Trawling ebay and substituting some second hand parts would save some more. Shows the bike is quite good value though.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Hi wonder if TheJollyJimLad invested in a Guv'nor and how it is going.We decided to press ahead and build our own version, based on all new components (except the frame). The 531 frame has been blasted and powder coated black with gold lug lining. we've gone for a Truativ Isoflow single chainset, Miche Primato large flange flip flop hubs with black Mavic rims (in 700C for best tyre/tube choices), 1 inch threaded headset and North Road bends. Pedals, brakes and tyres still to be selected. I think ours will be lighter and a bit sportier than the Pashley, but will still have the look and spirit of the path racer. Will post pics when finished.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I like Pashley's very much but I can't help thinking with the price of the Guv'nor, they really are cashing in on the current retro' craze. Possibly to the point of greediness. I know that as in all things, prices reflect what the market will bear,but perhaps in a few months (or less), we will see Guv'nor's at vastly reduced prices because they are in fact too expensive and haven't sold?
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Yes. I noticed that the Specialized Singlecross 09 - a very different style of bike but still a single speed can be had for about £400; similarly the Charge Plug. Not a steel lugged frame or "hand made in England", but twice the price is hard to justify.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

pioneer wrote:perhaps in a few months (or less), we will see Guv'nor's at vastly reduced prices because they are in fact too expensive and haven't sold?

i did ask that very question at my LBS. he said not, as they're virtually made to order.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Made to order eh? Not many I'll wager as I've not yet seen one of them on the road. Funnily enough though, I have seen quite a few real old roadster's out and about on the roads this summer. Maybe the sunshine tempts people to dig them out of the shed,dust them off,pump the tyres and go for a few gentle miles?
It's nice to see anyway. :)
Si

Post by Si »

My version of the guv'nor:

a tad cheaper
now finished apart from bar tape and about to take up service.
(BTW, the side car jokes were all done last time around :wink: )