Specialized Tricross single

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pioneer

Specialized Tricross single

Post by pioneer »

OK then,

seeing as my last question has drawn a complete blank,any Tricross single owners out there who would like to speak about the merits or otherwise of thier steeds?

(I've more or less binned the idea of the Kona anyway).It's an OK bike,but not really much more than a hybrid/commuter with drops and disc brakes.

I know that the Tricross in triple mode at least has had some bad press about the combination of it's carbon forks and canti' brakes. Anything else to be aware of perhaps?

thanks!
djnotts

Re: Specialized Tricross single

Post by djnotts »

A Tricross Single (only ran it fixed) was my main bike last autumn and winter. Only sold it because I have retired from fixed (legs OK but 50 years smoking has left the lungs a bit shot!).

IMHO one of THE best (of many) fixeds I've ever owned - and second best of all those that could take chubby tyres and 'grds (only bested - and only just - by an On One Single Speed Cyclo Xer in titanium - but then the new cost of that was at least 3x that of a Tricross!).

Weak spot probably the wheels, though a re-grease/careful adjustment of the hubs worked wonders! I simply got a spare pair of lighter wheels shod with skinnier tyres for tarmac-only rides.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Thanks, that sounds like good news.
kevinn123

Post by kevinn123 »

Running my Tricross as fixed commuter at the moment - have never really noticed any judder issues - braking has been fine.

Saddle is a bit rubbish - but an easy replacement
In-line brakes which I thought I might use - haven't been and the rivets have started to rust a little (they are easy to remove anyway)

Done everything it has needed to - have a rack and mudguards fitted - plus marathon pluses - so not the quickest bike - but dead easy to maintain.

Overall very please (thanks Pearsons!)
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

It's only a "possible" at the moment. Going to wait till Sept just in case there are even bigger discounts in the sales.
A lot of bargains to be had right now,though in fairness, bikes seem to me to be overpriced for what you actually get. i.e. the 09 Dawes prices, :evil:
Maybe the cycle to work scheme is having an adverse effect after all?

I did buy a new bike a few months back but returned it last Monday and got a full refund (long,tawdry story!), so will get another but am in no particular rush.

Have ridden a couple this week but not really that impressed. It's got to be right hasn't it?

Maybe I'm just too fussy? :D