Dawes Galaxy Tour

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RobMac

Re: Dawes Galaxy Tour

Post by RobMac »

Hi guys Im new to the site and Ive just posted a question in the Tech Section on the Dawes Galaxy
after reading this lot Im not sure about purchasing a new Dawes now :?

Rob

P.S. Do I need a handbag to join in on this discussion :wink:
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

RobMac wrote:Hi guys Im new to the site and Ive just posted a question in the Tech Section on the Dawes Galaxy

Rob

As the OP I can assure you of 2 things

2 The Galaxy is a fabulous bicycle in all its stages of development commensurate with the equipment that existed at the time of each model release. My 2002 was purchased a few months ago and had covered less than 1000 miles. It looked and was to all intents and purposes brand new. I initially perceived it as being considerably inferior to the 1994 that preceded it, and I concluded that it was down to an inferior quality frame build. I was probably wrong (in the main). I do feel that the frame build is inferior and in saying that that I am correct in that the rear stays on the 2002 are CroMo, whereas on the '94 they are slimmer and of Reynolds 531, which is superior. However the 2002 had a repeated rear wheel spoke failure issue and I had the wheel rebuilt with new spokes by my lbs, Rick Green Cycles of Handforth, Cheshire. At the same time they re-tensioned and trued the front wheel. The difference in the bike is staggering and I've concluded that everyone who bangs on about the merits of handbuilt wheels is 100% right. The 2002 was inferior in ride to the '94, but the main problem was the wheel tensioning, not the frame build quality.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Ive read this discussion from start to finish and I can see the issues are for bikes built
from late 90's to early 00's but what about the quality today?

Cheers Rob
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

saudidave wrote:
RobMac wrote:Hi guys Im new to the site and Ive just posted a question in the Tech Section on the Dawes Galaxy

Rob

As the OP I can assure you of 2 things

2 The Galaxy is a fabulous bicycle in all its stages of development commensurate with the equipment that existed at the time of each model release. My 2002 was purchased a few months ago and had covered less than 1000 miles. It looked and was to all intents and purposes brand new. I initially perceived it as being considerably inferior to the 1994 that preceded it, and I concluded that it was down to an inferior quality frame build. I was probably wrong (in the main). I do feel that the frame build is inferior and in saying that that I am correct in that the rear stays on the 2002 are CroMo, whereas on the '94 they are slimmer and of Reynolds 531, which is superior. However the 2002 had a repeated rear wheel spoke failure issue and I had the wheel rebuilt with new spokes by my lbs, Rick Green Cycles of Handforth, Cheshire. At the same time they re-tensioned and trued the front wheel. The difference in the bike is staggering and I've concluded that everyone who bangs on about the merits of handbuilt wheels is 100% right. The 2002 was inferior in ride to the '94, but the main problem was the wheel tensioning, not the frame build quality.

David may I call you David the handbag comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek hence the little :wink:

Respects Rob
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

RobMac wrote:Ive read this discussion from start to finish and I can see the issues are for bikes built
from late 90's to early 00's but what about the quality today?

Cheers Rob

No problems in the first 3,500 miles on my new one!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

This "the 02 frame" rides better than the "01 frame" kind of thing is just rubbish. I'm sorry but that's so. Some years ago one of the bike mags (I cannot remember which) got these "experts" who write gushingly about the carbon absorbing road buzz etc etc to ride some bikes whose frames were all covered up. They could NOT say what they were riding. At least, they could but they were wildly inaccurate. Similarly about 25 years ago some English doctors working in St.Thomas' Hospital in London, pissed off by the condescending pontifications of their Scottish brethren on single malts and so on, tried them blindfold. This was published in either the Lancet or the BMJ. I read it. Their conclusion was that not only could they not tell what malt they were drinking with any accuracy, but horror of horrors, they could not distinguish with any accuracy between single malts and blends.
I know that you can tell what bike is stiffer or stiffest when you stand up, but that's that. And nowadays aluminium bikes are as stiff as anything.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Oh dear,oh dear!

Who would have thought that the Galaxy could stimulate such a heated discussion? :roll:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Just to put my 2d worth in, I have a '97 Galaxy(531ST throughout),its really a Horizon but Dawes in those days used the same frame just cheaper parts on the Horizon.
One thing it did come with which Dawes doesn't offer today(only five years now) was a lifetime (of original owner)guarantee.The frame is UK built.
I like the bike and always have,comfy stiff,and well behaved.Initially it had a cheap wheelset which was ok but after a couple of years I had Spa build a pair of Sputniks on XT 9sp hubs, then upgraded the rest of the cheaper parts as and when,the bike was very good for loaded touring which I was doing a bit of at the time with 32mm tyres for a bit of roughstuff.
I haven't done any loaded touring for a few years now but was "stuck" with the Sputniks(these rims weight in at 695gr each) as I couldn't wear them out(this says a lot for Sputniks) but was fed up with its sluggish acceleration,so I had the wheels rebuilt with DRC STouring rims(520gr) and put some P/racer paselas on(380gr compared with the 32mm Marathons for heavy touring at 580gr),what a change! the bike is reborn,still the some old Galazon but now more nimble and quicker and willing to go :) .
Theres a moral here.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Gearoidmuar wrote:This "the 02 frame" rides better than the "01 frame" kind of thing is just rubbish. I'm sorry but that's so. Some years ago one of the bike mags (I cannot remember which) got these "experts" who write gushingly about the carbon absorbing road buzz etc etc to ride some bikes whose frames were all covered up. They could NOT say what they were riding. At least, they could but they were wildly inaccurate. Similarly about 25 years ago some English doctors working in St.Thomas' Hospital in London, pissed off by the condescending pontifications of their Scottish brethren on single malts and so on, tried them blindfold. This was published in either the Lancet or the BMJ. I read it. Their conclusion was that not only could they not tell what malt they were drinking with any accuracy, but horror of horrors, they could not distinguish with any accuracy between single malts and blends.
I know that you can tell what bike is stiffer or stiffest when you stand up, but that's that. And nowadays aluminium bikes are as stiff as anything.

All I know was that there was a considerable difference in the ride of the '94 & the 02. I wasn't imagining it and since having the wheels rebuilt the 02 is very different than it was before. To take your argument to the nth degree, why bother with a 531 frame if it doesn't ride any better than a cromo frame? I think that most people would agree that there is a difference and a noticeable one at that.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I don't think there's any difference between 531 and Cromo. I've ridden both. Extensively. None at all. And Aluminium is the same except that early aluminium frames were a bit wobbly when you stand up, and now they're not. This stuff is all imagination.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I don't think there's any difference between 531 and Cromo. I've ridden both. Extensively. None at all. And Aluminium is the same except that early aluminium frames were a bit wobbly when you stand up, and now they're not. This stuff is all imagination.

I've ridden both extensively too and I disagree, as, I suspect would most serious cyclists.. I'd better stop dreaming about that Mercian frame and get down the tip for an owd Rudge. You have your opinion, I mine. The end really.
pq

Post by pq »

But 531 IS cromo!!
One link to your website is enough. G
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

pq wrote:But 531 IS cromo!!

Please stop splitting hairs. The intentions behind my post were obvious. Cheap gas pipes and 531 obviously ride differently.
PW

Post by PW »

And 531 isn't Chromo, it's manganese molybdenum. :roll:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ooooh,it always happens! :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden