Dawes Galaxy Tour

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saudidave

Re: Dawes Galaxy Tour

Postby saudidave » 3 Oct 2009, 11:15am

pete75 wrote:Dave you can justify what you put as much as you like. I still think it was wrong particularly your assumption that the man was out to swindle people. It would have been better to have told the guy that his advert was inaccurate and given him a chance to correct it, in particular that his bike wasn't a 2002 model. As the purchaser says he was a genuine guy so made those mistakes in all innocence. A 1999 bike could well have remained unsold until 2002(an LBS had a 1998 Galaxy unsold until 2 years ago) and, unless pointed out to them, most people would consider a bike bought in 2002 as a 2002 bike. This is especially true of someone who may have bought a bike second hand and been told it was bought new in 2002. Simililarly without detailed knowledge of the model all Galaxies appear to be sought after - the prices they fetch on ebay are way above those of lesser known brands of equal or better quality. For example I bought an MB framed tourer in very good condition for £100 from the bay. Better quality than a Galaxy, Vernon Barker(the B of MB) - an excellent frame builder made the 531ST frame, mostly XT components, Mercian built wheels, Carradice super C panniers etc and mileage so low it still had remains of moulding flash on the original tyres. If it'd been a Galaxy it'd have probably fetched 3 times what I paid so yes it's fair to describe a Galaxy as sought after.

Your own comments contain an untruth, no doubt an innocent mistake, Dawes frames were never built in Czechoslovakia.

I didn't assume he was out to swindle people and my post on here said he was misguided. I didn't want people buying something on the basis of false information and I made sure they didn't. There would have been no point talking to the seller, he could and possibly would have ignored me. I also objected very strongly to the seller using my comments to assist him in this misguided advert. I couldn't give a monkey's about anyones opinion of my actions in this particular instance - I'm very happpy about it. If you think differently that is up to you.

I agree that Galaxies are sought after, and command silly money on ebay. However the seller was describing the 2002 as "the most sought after galaxy", which is a blatant untruth, Galaxies are sought after but 2002's are not the most sought after. The context is different and you misunderstand the point in question.

The basis of my comment that Galaxies were made in CZ derives from information provided to me by another member of the forum who has a 2002 that has had warranty replacements from Dawes for two pairs of forks and a main frame failure. He had the frame inspected after the main frame failure by a dealer in Telford, at Dawes request, to substantiate his claim. The dealer turned out to be a former executive at Dawes and presumably that is where he gleaned that information from. If it is wrong, then I apologise, I made the statement in good faith.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Oct 2009, 11:43am

2002 Dawes frames couldn't have been made in Czechoslovakia becuase the country ceased to exist in 1992.
If you had pointed out the errors in the advert to the guy and he ignored them that would have been the time to put your posting here. I'm surprised though that you posted about possible faults with 2002 bikes rather than pointing out that it was in fact a 1999 machine.

BTW from what I've heard of 2002 era Galaxies it was the quality control which was bad. You can can end up with a good or bad frame depending on the abilities and work standards of the individual who made it. You won't know with yours yet because it hasn't been used much but it's a reasonable bet that any well used one from that era which hasn't had frame problems to date will be fine.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 3 Oct 2009, 12:07pm

[quote="pete75"]2002 Dawes frames couldn't have been made in Czechoslovakia becuase the country ceased to exist in 1992.
If you had pointed out the errors in the advert to the guy and he ignored them that would have been the time to put your posting here. I'm surprised though that you posted about possible faults with 2002 bikes rather than pointing out that it was in fact a 1999 machine.

BTW from what I've heard of 2002 era Galaxies it was the quality control which was bad. You can can end up with a good or bad frame depending on the abilities and work standards of the individual who made it. You won't know with yours yet because it hasn't been used much but it's a reasonable bet that any well used one from that era which hasn't had frame problems to date will be fine.[/quote

I went to CZ last year and I have a photograph of myself in the old own square in Prague to prove it. Since I haven't consumed any LSD since a bad trip in 1972, I doubt if I've imagined it.

I posted about 2002 bikes , not 1999 ones because he said it was a 2002. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the info about QC. It confirms my comments about QC in an earlier post in this thread.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Oct 2009, 12:39pm

saudidave wrote:
pete75 wrote:2002 Dawes frames couldn't have been made in Czechoslovakia becuase the country ceased to exist in 1992.
I went to CZ last year and I have a photograph of myself in the old own square in Prague to prove it. Since I haven't consumed any LSD since a bad trip in 1972, I doubt if I've imagined it.

I posted about 2002 bikes , not 1999 ones because he said it was a 2002. Am I missing something here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakia

And yes you are missing something - moral scruples.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 3 Oct 2009, 1:19pm

pete75 wrote:
saudidave wrote:
pete75 wrote:
And yes you are missing something - moral scruples.

I'm missing moral scruples? Are you having a laugh? He claimed that his 1999 galaxy was a 2002 (fraudulent claim) and that the 2002 is the most sought after Dawes Galaxy model (Wildly innaccurate and fraudulent claim). Can you imagine how you would feel if you bought a 7 year old car and it turned out to be 10 years old?

It isn't morally wrong to expose errors that may lead to people being defrauded, whether that was or wasn't intended on the part of the seller. The seller had a clear choice to either cancel the ad and repost it, or correct it (which he chose to do). I didn't defraud him of any money at all. He had the option of reposting and had he done so he may, or may not have got more money for his bike. He chose not to and any loss he incurred due to that decision was his own fault, not mine. I'm not the one telling porkies in an advert, the seller was and he got what he deserved - exposure

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Oct 2009, 4:35pm

Having a laugh? Well I certainly hada chuckle at the idignant tone of your reply.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 3 Oct 2009, 7:16pm

The Galaxy frames (c2000 - 2004) were built at the Fort cycle works in the Czech Republic, formerly part of Czechoslovakia. It's the same place though, innit?

My Gal was the 2002 model Dave has referred to. Was I extremely unlucky to have two pairs of forks fail and the brazing of the rear bridge fail? I dunno. I haven't heard of anyone else experience quite the amount of failures I've had with the gal. I don't know whether I might ride more miles than the average Galaxy owner. One things for certain, I've made full use of the lifetime guarantee, since reduced to 15 then 5 years.

I think Dave's position is quite justifiable, if the ad actually referred people to this thread. It was clearly nonsense to suggest that the 2002 was a particularly good vintage. Last of the good vintage Gal's would be '97-'98.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 3 Oct 2009, 8:15pm

pete75 wrote:Having a laugh? Well I certainly hada chuckle at the idignant tone of your reply.

Having run out of logical debating points (aka beaten) you have now resorted to mockery. When you are in a hole, the best thing to do is cease digging.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 3 Oct 2009, 8:36pm

How's this for a shoddy Galaxy buying experience on Ebay. I won a '98 frameset, with everything but the wheels. I should have questioned this at the time. The seller said they were being sold separately. He also described it as 'Sold as seen' - another warning bell. I met up with him at the side of St Pancras station (dodgy or what 8) ) but he seemed a thoroughly descent chap, not like some dodgy wheeler dealer. His Ebay avatar is even a close up of a Harry Quinn head tube, complete with chromed lugwork - a real connoisseur of bikes, me thinks. I gave the frame the once over, but not close enough as it turned out.

A week later, whilst stripping it for a rebuild I noticed that the headset wasn't true, with tightness at one particular point. This is how you identify that the steerer tube is bent - I know that now :roll: . So the bike had been pranged, no doubt the front wheel written off. The metallic paint also betrays the stress of the impact by finely crazing (solid colours wouldn't show this).

I phoned the seller up and pleaded for a reduction to reflect the cost of buying new forks. He wouldn't have it and made various excuses. The frame has sat in the attic for the best part of a year now. Due to my bike fleet changing, mainly because of the failure of my original 2002 Gal plus needing a distance commuter bike, I wanted to reserect the frame with a cheap pair of Cheviot forks. No problem eh? Except some idiot has gone and forced an over sized seatpost into the frame. I doubt it was the seller, but he probably knew it was rammed in. I thought it had just seized. I've cut through it in 4 places lengthways, according to the suggestions in the Too Good To Loose section and I still can't budge it. Anyway, that was just before I went on tour (and moved house!) so I was in a rush. Hopefully a little more judicious hacksawing will release it and I will have a descent hack bike.

Incedently, 'though I said that '98 was a good vintage, I'll retract that. The quality and neatness of the brazing is pretty poor. And there is welding of some parts where you'd expect neater brazing to be used. Ironically, the 2002 frame was very neatly brazed - it just turned out that one point failed, so a new frameset. (the 1st replacement forks failed at approx 150 miles, due to dirty brazing; the original forks failed in the 531 tubing, cracking at the point of the front rack brazing, so that is a Reynolds failure, not Dawes oneas such. The Blackburn low loader racks shouldn't be attached with 'P' clips as mine came fitted, because they don't provide enough lateral rigidity, meaning that all the rack flexing with an added load is put through the mid fork lug. Hence the two fork failures.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 4 Oct 2009, 5:30pm

saudidave wrote:
pete75 wrote:Having a laugh? Well I certainly hada chuckle at the idignant tone of your reply.

Having run out of logical debating points (aka beaten) you have now resorted to mockery. When you are in a hole, the best thing to do is cease digging.

I didn't know this forum or any other for that matter was a competition. If you think that and feel you've "won" I hope you're feeling pleased with your self though from what you said earlier about your lack of work in the construction industry is sure sounds like it's you who's ceased digging.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 4 Oct 2009, 5:55pm

pete75 wrote:
saudidave wrote:

I didn't know this forum or any other for that matter was a competition. If you think that and feel you've "won" I hope you're feeling pleased with your self though from what you said earlier about your lack of work in the construction industry is sure sounds like it's you who's ceased digging.

As I stated you are clearly at a loss in your debate relating to the thread, so sadly you have launched in to mockery (again) in an attempt to have the final word. My economic plight and lack of honest toil has got no relevance this thread or bicycles, so what on earth motivates you to comment upon it?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 4 Oct 2009, 9:12pm

saudidave wrote:
pete75 wrote:
saudidave wrote:Having run out of logical debating points (aka beaten) you have now resorted to mockery. When you are in a hole, the best thing to do is cease digging.

As I stated you are clearly at a loss in your debate relating to the thread, so sadly you have launched in to mockery (again) in an attempt to have the final word. My economic plight and lack of honest toil has got no relevance this thread or bicycles, so what on earth motivates you to comment upon it?

It was you who mentioned it on this thread so I'd guess that makes it relevant - just thought it was seemed funny in the context of ceasing to dig. Good god man you're easy to wind up.

Si

Postby Si » 5 Oct 2009, 9:57am

"Yeah, and my dad's bigger than yours." :wink:
Give it a rest chaps - it's not going anywhere, it's all getting really petty, and posting just to insult or wind up another user is a sure way of seeing your posts pulled.
No more, thank you.

stevietink

Postby stevietink » 5 Oct 2009, 6:21pm

It sure beats watching X-Factor with the missis though.!!

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 5 Oct 2009, 6:26pm

Watch it Stevie, don't you go slagging off X Factor! :D