Dawes Galaxy Tour

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saudidave

Re: Dawes Galaxy Tour

Postby saudidave » 12 Oct 2009, 11:34pm

PW wrote:And 531 isn't Chromo, it's manganese molybdenum. :roll:

RobMac, get your handbag out, They're off!

RobMac

Postby RobMac » 13 Oct 2009, 12:34am

:lol:

R.....

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 13 Oct 2009, 7:58am

If somebody can't tell the difference between 531,4130,ally' and all the other frame materials now on offer,they must have either a very hard ass' and thick gloves or not do many miles.

philg

Postby philg » 13 Oct 2009, 9:54am

pioneer wrote:If somebody can't tell the difference between 531,4130,ally' and all the other frame materials now on offer,they must have either a very hard ass' and thick gloves or not do many miles.

Well you would have to make identical bikes with identical kit from each of the materials to prove that - though it's easy to tell an Al frame from steel, as it doesn't damp transmission clunks in the (nice) way steel does

However I doubt most people could tell the difference between identically specced frames made from various steels apart from by weight or by pinging the tubes.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

/The reality is that you can make a good bike frame out of any of these metals, with any desired riding qualities, by selecting appropriate tubing diamters, wall thicknesses and frame geometry./

stevietink

Postby stevietink » 19 Oct 2009, 4:59pm

Come on lads, pull the cables out of the back of the PC`s, use them to tie the panniers down, tell the missis you`re out for milk, see the world!!!

I have an old PUG CroMo tourmalet, and a 531 galaxy (the one that started all this discussion!!), both bikes are great. I cannot 'feel' anything between them. The extra weight of the PUG makes me sweat more on club rides, but that`s only a good thing!!

A guy at work was told to lose some weight by the doctor, he bought the lightest carbon bike he could buy, £2,000. Where`s the sense in that? Keep the weight on the bike, lose the weight on the belly.

Feel the breeze...

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 19 Oct 2009, 6:03pm

I don't need anybody telling me to get out the bike thanks very much,I do quite enough miles as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 19 Oct 2009, 8:36pm

I've just had a read of this thread after a week ignoring it. I'm now seriously considering selling the galaxy and getting one of Halfords basic bikes instead. I'll trouser a couple of hundred quid and according to most contributors to this thread. I'll never, ever, ever, in a million miles be able to spot any difference at all. Zip! On the other hand it will be heavier and I'll lose more weight, but somehow, I'll not be aware of it.

Brilliant :lol:

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 20 Oct 2009, 8:12am

Dave, ignore "most contributors", they don't know what they're talking about.

Now let's see what happens...

:lol:

stevietink

Postby stevietink » 20 Oct 2009, 7:15pm

Ignore them all Dave. We clearly don`t have a clue what we`re talking about. Sorry for everything..

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 20 Oct 2009, 7:46pm

Is that it Stevie? Pah,poor effort. :twisted:

stevietink

Postby stevietink » 20 Oct 2009, 9:04pm

I did have another comment, which went into far more depth, but I had it pulled down. Si showed me the error of my ways, which I accept in full. I`ll leave this discussion to the guys with more knowledge and wisdom than I have.

The guys in my club don`t need blind folds to test out bikes....

http://www.bury-tandem-club.org.uk

Cheers Guys!!

Happy cycling!!

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 20 Oct 2009, 10:21pm

stevietink wrote:I did have another comment, which went into far more depth, but I had it pulled down. Si showed me the error of my ways, which I accept in full. I`ll leave this discussion to the guys with more knowledge and wisdom than I have.

The guys in my club don`t need blind folds to test out bikes....

http://www.bury-tandem-club.org.uk

Cheers Guys!!

Happy cycling!!

Steve you will note that several posts ago I was going to make a couple of points but there was actually only one. Blame Si not me. Pulled in to line again!

I clearly have no knowledge or wisdom myself either, or I wouldn't have spent £350.00 on an immaculate second hand , £1100.00 bike when a cheap gas pipe tubed job would have done the trick. What a waste :lol:

hester2222

Postby hester2222 » 31 Oct 2009, 8:18am

I am the buyer of saudidave's 94 galaxy - a purchase inspired after touring for 9hr days through the Spanish mountains on a borrowed £175 hybrid moutain bike. The Galaxy is my first proper bike, my first possession of any real value and possibly my first true love. Worth every penny of the £380 (inc del). When I'm on a straight I overtake all those poxy boys in their padded lycra pants - so much speed for so little effort!! And despite that I've not yet got fat. Saudidave did a beautiful restoration job - I've passed through a number of bike restoration & repair shops and the men in overalls coo over it dreamily. They can't understand a bike of that age in such perfect condition. Not only that but saudidave was a most charming and interested and helpful seller. An artiste, of bikes and photography. Couldn't recommend him highly enough. And if some silly <inappropriate phrase removed> advertises his bike incorrectly he has only himself to blame - if a former dawes innocent such as myself had bought it I would have felt deeply peeved.

Hester

garygkn

Postby garygkn » 14 Jan 2010, 9:08pm

Can any one tell me how the frame number reveals the year of manufacture please?

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 14 Jan 2010, 9:14pm

It is usually by the series of numbers and letters, much like a car registration number. Each manufacturer has different codes and sequences. You could google your frame make as a search or visit Sheldon Brown as a starter.