Why rim tape?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
james01

Why rim tape?

Postby james01 » 12 Aug 2009, 9:42am

Whenever I've discovered worn rim tape when fixing a puncture, I've replaced it with standard electricians' insulating tape. I've never noticed any problems, even after several years in the rim. At the moment I'm using Scotch Super 88 Vinyl Electrical tape, which carries a note: "-18C to + 105C", so it should be OK for use in most parts of the world! Can anyone tell me why I should be buying rim tape when I've got a much cheaper alternative always available in my workshop drawer?

grognut

Re: Why rim tape?

Postby grognut » 12 Aug 2009, 12:49pm

Hi,

I have found general vinyl tape to ooze adhesive and make a mess of the surround area. I guess this would make removing a tube a messy experience. Also some of the cheap tapes will creep and may expose any sharp spoke ends.

Maybe Scotch Super 88 Vinyl is better than most.

Personally I'de use cloth or other purely to prevent the adhesive gooeyness.

Cheers

grognut

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Aug 2009, 1:23pm

I've used vinyl tape on a couple of pairs of wheels, but I wouldn't use it on my main bike, as the rims have deep and wide eyelets.

The high pressures involved - 120psi - would stretch the vinyl allowing the tube to go in, whereas decent rim tape won't stretch into the holes.
Mick F. Cornwall

james01

Postby james01 » 12 Aug 2009, 2:20pm

Mick F wrote:The high pressures involved - 120psi - would stretch the vinyl allowing the tube to go in, whereas decent rim tape won't stretch into the holes.

Good point about the eyelet holes, although my present rims don't have them.

quiksilver

Postby quiksilver » 13 Aug 2009, 5:15am

I use insulation tape too and have had no probs. I always use a good quality one from a good wholesaler not the cheap crap you get in poundshops or the sheds.