Carry Freedom trailer - resurrection report

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robwa10

Re: Carry Freedom trailer - resurrection report

Post by robwa10 »

Mick F wrote:I’m glad to be back on the road, and look forward to shopping trips and perhaps a tour in the spring.

If you decide to go through the Peak District again I'd be more than glad to accompany you on some part of your ramblings. :)
Just Rob please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Rob.

Roll on spring!
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

Work permitting I might manage to make 3! :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

Good to see your back on the road. The new hitch looks a smart job. one question in the photo's of your original hitch there is a quick release pin parallel to the bolt but I cant see what it does? Is it a spare or does it do something?? Sorry for being nosey but it's driving me daft trying to work it out.

Let me know when your ready for your 2010 tour. If Robs ok we could have a good ride there.

Malc

Edited Appologies PW just re read the posts and realised the significance of yours :oops: so we could be four :)
Last edited by ferrit worrier on 24 Sep 2009, 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ferrit worrier wrote:one question in the photo's of your original hitch there is a quick release pin parallel to the bolt but I cant see what it does? Is it a spare or does it do something??
The hitch fits on the LH wheel nut/QR and is a hooked affair. The trailer bit has a pin on the end of the UJ that hooks in. It is stopped from lifting out by a pin and retainer.

Have a look at this:
http://www.carryfreedom.com/hitch.html
This is the old hitch, and Nick hasn't got the website up to date yet with the new hitch.

I've shown my new hitch and restored trailer to folk and they're all very impressed. However, the new hitch isn't well-received. This evening, for instance, I rode down to the pub with trailer on the back to show it off. I took the old hitch with me in my pocket. All agreed that they would rather put their faith in the old metal, nuts and bolts of the old hitch, than the plastic of the new hitch. I don't disagree in principle, but time will tell. Nick has guaranteed this new elastomer Lollypop hitch for 5 years, so who am I to doubt it's strength and longevity?

It works well, is quiet and easy to use. Hopefully it will be everything it's supposed to be.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS,
2010 sounds a long way away!
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:PS,
2010 sounds a long way away!

97 days :)

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Mick F wrote:I've shown my new hitch and restored trailer to folk and they're all very impressed. However, the new hitch isn't well-received. This evening, for instance, I rode down to the pub with trailer on the back to show it off. I took the old hitch with me in my pocket. All agreed that they would rather put their faith in the old metal, nuts and bolts of the old hitch, than the plastic of the new hitch. I don't disagree in principle, but time will tell. Nick has guaranteed this new elastomer Lollypop hitch for 5 years, so who am I to doubt it's strength and longevity?

I'm surprised at that - when I got my new hitch I was most impressed, and expected it to be much more secure. After all, it is a much simpler design, with fewer parts to wear or break. The bolt holding the two halves of my old hitch had worn noticeably from the constant movement, but the elastomer simply flexes, so there is almost no wear. The worst that can happen is perishing of the elastomer, and I'm not sure if that's likely - I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen soon. Also, Nick sent me a photo of the trailer with the stone block, but with the bike lying flat; the elastomer was simply flexing to accommodate - there is no way the old hitch could have coped!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You can hardly expect a small business like this to carry out tests on how long the stuff will last but presumably the manufacturers of the material used must be able to say how many flexings it will stand before it fails. I imagine this stuff must be much more widely used than in bike trailers (and Birdy suspension) so somebody must know how well it performs over time.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote:I imagine this stuff must be much more widely used than in bike trailers (and Birdy suspension) so somebody must know how well it performs over time.
Based on dinghy tiller extensions, quite a few years of (intermittent) use. I suspect that heat and UV light exposure would tend to shorten life, but (again based on dinghy racing experience) just look at it now and again and replace when cracks appear. (Unlike most metals, a crack does not necessarily mean instant failure.) Just carry a spare if on tour (long mileage away from base).
HTH
"42"
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

There may well be a string embedded in the middle of it to act as a failsafe. You need to cut a cross-section of it so you can tell us.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

thirdcrank wrote:I imagine this stuff must be much more widely used than in bike trailers (and Birdy suspension) so somebody must know how well it performs over time.

My child trailer has a similar looking material connecting the hitch and trailer arm. I got the trailer from a friend who used it on all four of his children over the past 6 years or so. Doesn't show any sign of breaking though it is more of a rounded section. My main concern when I saw it was whether it would some how tear where the bolt passed through? I don't think in all likely hood this would ever happen.
Just Rob please.
crashmatt

Post by crashmatt »

Where can I get a lollipop hitch? I could not find anybody selling them.

I am planning to make a homebuild trailer to carry longer items than the normal trailers. The hitch is a critical item for the plan.

Any help is appreciated
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Crashmat,
Try e-mailing Nick at nick@carryfreedom.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Millhouse wrote:Crashmat,
Try e-mailing Nick at nick@carryfreedom.com

After MickF's advice and help I ordered the new hitch and it is excellent.

The only change I have made is to swap the pin for a padlock to provide a secure hitch