Lightweight headset spanners

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Quaker Mike

Re: Lightweight headset spanners

Post by Quaker Mike »

Mine arrived yesterday. Little nibs on one immediately filed off to fit below brake hanger on trike, and headset slack adjusted to perfection. Old beat-up multispanner thingy (bought circa 1950), which slipped about and caused much unparliamentary language as well as bruised knuckles and sore palms, consigned immediately to recycling bin. A most satisfactory outcome :D . Thanks again, Mick.
1gear1life

Post by 1gear1life »

I've been looking in bike shops this week for a pair of 32mm headset spanners, and having joined this forum today I discover that I've just missed exactly what I was looking for :( If you place any future orders I would definitely be interested.
"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Welcome to the forum!
The order book could be opened again, I'm sure. I'll have a chat with Paul, though it would be a few weeks before anything could be produced.

I'll keep this thread on the back burner and get back to you.
Mick F. Cornwall
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Mick,

Mine arrive this evening and I've already been out to the garage to check my headset. I might also file off the nibs to get around the canti brake hanger but a great tool all the same

Many thanks

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
georgew

Post by georgew »

Many thanks for the Headset spanner Mick, it arrived yesterday and should be just the job. At my age I really shouldn't be still collecting tools as my workshop is now completely stuffed with them.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Mick the 3 different sizes I ordered arrived yesterday. they are so well made much better quality than most of the stuff you can buy nowadays. reminded me of when I was a kid working on bikes, motorbikes then cars. I would get stuck with a job and my dad would come home for his dinner and then arrive back home at 7 pm with the perfect tool for the job, he'd designed in his head and got made at work. I still have and use several of these. Many times I've wished i could just ring my late father and get special tools made. Your mate Paul might just be a good substitute...
Thanks for doing this. Perhaps you could get another batch made and sell them as a cottage industry?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Perhaps you could get another batch made and sell them as a cottage industry?

The very thing occurred to me the other day ..............
The trouble is, we didn't make much money out of the deal, just a few beers each down the pub!
Paul is mega busy at the moment, so it would be next year before any more could be organised. (spanners, that is, not beer! :D )
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Mick,
If you and Paul decide to make another batch I'd like to be put on the list for a 32mm please.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Mick F wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:Perhaps you could get another batch made and sell them as a cottage industry?

The very thing occurred to me the other day ..............
The trouble is, we didn't make much money out of the deal, just a few beers each down the pub!
Paul is mega busy at the moment, so it would be next year before any more could be organised. (spanners, that is, not beer! :D )

Your could definitely charge a bit more than a fiver IMHO for something that useful and so nicely made. Headset spanners cost in excess of £15.

If you do do another batch I might want to go for a 34mm one, I've discovered that one of my families fleet has an 1 1/4" threaded headset.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
boblo

Post by boblo »

Hello Mick

I've just returned from a rather hard going winter off road Cambrian Way.... to find a nice pair of 32's sitting waiting at home for me...oh and your perfect headset spanners :D

Thank you so much, better than Park!
1gear1life

Post by 1gear1life »

Thanks for the welcome. I notice that you are also looking at some sort of multitool too. It looks like you and your friend could set up a useful, popular and profitable little business. Established producers/shops will only sell what is most commonly in demand, and place a huge mark-up on the price, because they can. I'll keep a look out for what you are doing.
"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My "Chainless Chainwhip" idea has been made out of MDF and presented down the pub for general comment, all of which was favourable! I took my back wheel along to for a demonstration of the theory. It wouldn't work, of course, coz it's only MDF, but Paul has taken it away to be replicated in mild steel. (cheap)

The result will be tested properly, and the design altered if needed, then we may make a few in Stainless Steel to be sent out for testing "in the field". Volunteers required!

I'm keeping my design close to my chest, as I reckon it is unique.

More on this later - after the New Year.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS, mutitool seems problematical, so still scratching my head!
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is my take on an emergency headset spanner;

headset tool v2.jpg

-obviously for emergencies only. I made it, and then ensured it worked; since when I've carried it many thousands of miles with only one use, and that was on someone else's bike. I carry a screwdriver bit/punch anyway. The third tool required is a rock.

I take the view that a headset should be fine virtually indefinitely if it is set up right, but because the steerer can be damaged by riding with a loose headset, it is a good idea to carry something to mitigate against that remote possibility.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

A bit (very) late I know, but N=-1+1=N has just arrived and has a stronglight a9 alloy headset fitted, so I presume 32mm? Don't suppose there are any left are there, if not any more in the pipeline.?