Lightweight headset spanners

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Lightweight headset spanners

Post by Mick F »

Tako wrote:
Mick F wrote:Basically, it's just an idea with dimensions, a quick twiddle with CAD, an email, and spanners come through the post! I'll start a new thread (pun!) in a few days/next week ..... after I ask nicely.

It might be basic but it's ruddy clever! I want one!
I have both Campag and Shimano threaded headsets, both modern standard locknut sizing.
if other forum members are interested, maybe set up a group buy?

Mick F wrote:I emailed my mate, and his reply:
Spanners can be replicated without trouble. I think I still have the drawing somewhere, if not we can soon rustle up another.

So things can be arranged!

Anyone want one of these?

Stainless steel headset spanner, cut with laser.

PM me with jaw width etc.
Octagonal/hexagonal?

Spanner.jpg

I realise this subject should be in For Sale or somewhere, but it needs discussion IMO, perhaps there's other tools that people want made from flat SS that can be laser cut from a plate. Just ask and it may be able to be done. So long as it's simple and doesn't require machining.
Mick F. Cornwall
random37

Re: Lightweight headset spanners

Post by random37 »

Park do one about that size that has a pedal spanner on the other end. It has two holes so you can mount it under a bottle cage.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sounds good.

Do you have a link? I wonder what the cost is.
A quick shufti at the park site didn't turn one up, perhaps I missed it.
Mick F. Cornwall
random37

Post by random37 »

I have to say, Mick, it doesn't look as nice as the one you're holding.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... &item=RW-1
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

chris667 wrote:Park do one about that size that has a pedal spanner on the other end. It has two holes so you can mount it under a bottle cage.

I bought a pair of the Park spanners about 16 years ago.
one had 32mm & 15mm for headset and pedals
the other 36mm & 15mm for bottom bracket tool and pedals
both have a long slot which looks like it would fit the bottle bosses but the spanners are quite thick.
I thought this pair of spanners could be improved by having eg 32mm&36mm and 32mm&15mm thereby having 4 useful ends and no unnecessary duplication of the 15mm

The duplication of the 15mm may be to use as cone spanners but I think they are too thick to use for that purpose.
Although I have used my Elite cone spanners doubled up as pedal spanners.

I always carried a comprehensive toolkit when touring which luckily I never had to use except for assembling and dismantling the bike at either end of the tour. But was prepared for almost any kind of maintainance or repair.

I would have saved quite a bit of weight if I had then the option of obtaining custom made tools. Like yours Mick F
Attachments
Park Spanners.jpg
Last edited by Neil Mc Ivor on 28 Sep 2009, 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The thing with the Park spanner is that the jaws aren't nicely finished so it's easy to mark the headset nuts IME. Does this one have a smooth, precise fit?
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

CREPELLO wrote:The thing with the Park spanner is that the jaws aren't nicely finished so it's easy to mark the headset nuts IME. Does this one have a smooth, precise fit?

I have never had to use my Park headset spanner although I have carried it for several thousand miles.
I done any maintainance at home using Campagnolo tools the Park tools were only carried for emergencies.

You are right the Park tool is not well finished. I have checked the Parktool against my headset nuts it is not exactly a snug fit there is quite a bit of play in it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The ones made for me are fairly smooth and a good fit. They were cut by laser so they aren't "machined" to accuracy. I suppose they could be made exactly to size to allow for some gentle filing for a good fit.

I know when mine were made, my mate added a tiny extra bit over the 32mm. Had he made them bang on, they would need to be "adjusted". Good idea though.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tako

Post by Tako »

It's like buses. I never knew these existed, l marvel at Mick F's and then 4 more show up! :D
Mick, l'm still in!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had a quick chat with my mate Paul on Friday. He say's he'll have a chat with his mate with the laser cutter. I'll get back to this thread when all the ducks are in a row. Dunno about costs yet.

BTW, Paul was talking about the laser cutter having an accuracy of 0.1mm!

Question:
What about having a pair of extra bits on the spanner to close the ends a little. The spanner could be passed over the nut from above, then lowered down. Paul envisages a sort of "split-ring spanner" idea. How does that sound? It gets round the idea of it slipping and damaging an alu headset.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tako

Post by Tako »

Excellent work Mick!
Not sure if any mods will improve the design as its compactness is what makes it. Does your slip when tightening the headset?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not at all.

If you were to look at mine now, you'd see that the nut is damaged from before. I used to use a big adjustable!
Mick F. Cornwall
Tako

Post by Tako »

Hi Mick,
Any progress on these?