Vibrating disc brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

Vibrating disc brakes

Post by Colin Stanley »

My off road bike has Hayes Nine hydraulic disc brakes. Bike doesn’t get a lot of use. However, recently when I apply the brakes there is a dreadful vibrating noise. Was tempted to roughen up the disc surface and those of the pads, but not too sure if this would bring silence . Any ideas please?
Phatman

Re: Vibrating disc brakes

Post by Phatman »

I had a similar problem on the rear disc brake of my full suspension bike. It turned out that the swingarm was not quite up to the job of disc brakes, but I found a tip that worked and it has proved reliable over several years. The solution that worked for my problem involved fixing a stiff stainless steel bracket between the forward caliper bolt and the cantilever boss - in my case I used two rear carrier braces bolted together and twisted through 90 degrees.
Attachments
P1020285.JPG
rootes

Post by rootes »

Colin Stanley wrote:My off road bike has Hayes Nine hydraulic disc brakes. Bike doesn’t get a lot of use. However, recently when I apply the brakes there is a dreadful vibrating noise. Was tempted to roughen up the disc surface and those of the pads, but not too sure if this would bring silence . Any ideas please?

more likly to the be the pad backing vibrating againts the capiler body and pistons - same as in a car - cure for car is to coat those surafces with hightemp copperslip to stop the vibration.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Thanks guys.
My bike is a hardtail so will go the high temp copperslip route.