Flahsing LED Pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nuttfieldnutter

Flahsing LED Pedals

Post by Nuttfieldnutter »

I got some flashing LED Pedals for christmas, but I am not sure whether they are legal. I know that flashing lights are illegal (i use them anyway) but does anyone know whether or not flashing LED Pedals are legal.

Oliver, South Nutfield
CJ

Re:Flahsing LED Pedals

Post by CJ »

Illegal, but use them anyway.

The Dept of Transport is supposed to be legalising flashing lights on bikes - has been talking about it for at least three years - but keeps finding other things that need doing first. I'm tired of waiting.
Frances

Post by Frances »

I understand why a flashing light is insufficient on its own, however am I understanding this to mean that flashing lights are illegal when they are supplementary to a standard light?
Nuttfieldnutter

Post by Nuttfieldnutter »

Thanks CJ, I will use them anyway. Frances - I think that flashing lights on their own are illegal on their own, but if they are used with a conventional light they are not illegal (i dont care anyway).

Go on to google and do a search for Flashing bicycle lights - there is a PFD of a government white paper which discusses the matter.

Thanks, Oliver
Steve

Post by Steve »

Do you have a link Mr Nutter?

Steve
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Some time ago I did an experiment whilst riding along a busy main road at dusk. I counted how many cars pulled over far enough for their nearside wheels to cross the central white line as they overtook me. With the LED continuous, only about 30% of the cars left that much room. With the LED flashing they all did.