Double to single chainset conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikewsMITH2

Double to single chainset conversion

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I have a nice brand new in the box 39-53 10 sp Campag Centaur chainset (square drive) that I got for a song off ebay. I would like to use it with just the smaller chainring on my single speed project (number 2). Can I get spacers or special bolts so that I can do this? Or will I have to fabricate something?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
GrahamG

Re: Double to single chainset conversion

Post by GrahamG »

All you need is shorter chainring bolts for a single ring. Most shops will have them now that single speed/fixed conversions are so popular! Alternatively, if you have the appropriate equipment, you can just grind down the double bolts.
Si

Post by Si »

Don't make the mistake that I did and buy those anodised Alu BMX single ring bolts - they are made of cheese.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I converted my Stronglight 99 double to a single by using the same bolts but using washers behind the spider to allow the bolts to bed properly.

So my advice is to try to fit the single ring, and see how it goes. Maybe all you'll need are some washers.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You'll need shorter bolts, or some sort of spacers. If the inner bolt goes too far through, it's impossible to stop the outer bolt spinning, and you won't get them tight. I cut the bolt holes off an old worn out chainring and used them as washers - you then know they are the right size and thickness.
If you want shorter bolts, try Spa cycles.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I cut the bolt holes off an old worn out chainring and used them as washers

Yes I thought about that, but I don't have a worn out one handy. However my friendly local bike repairman might well do. He's opened up his scrap bin to me before now... Actually, I do have some Biopace ones but they might come back into fashion!?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:
I cut the bolt holes off an old worn out chainring and used them as washers

Yes I thought about that, but I don't have a worn out one handy. However my friendly local bike repairman might well do. He's opened up his scrap bin to me before now... Actually, I do have some Biopace ones but they might come back into fashion!?

Alternatively If you have an old chainring close to the size of the spider arms you could grind the teeth of the chainring to make it smooth around it's circumference.
It looks quite neat and gives more support to the chainring in use also you can adjust the chainline by having the blank either on the outside or the inside of the spider.
I done this with a Shimano race pattern chainring 42T x 135BCD. It took quite a bit of work but I thought the result worth the effort.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Actually I was wondering if there was a generic chainguard ring I could buy to put in place of the outer ring. my son has one on his single chainset and it looks neat as well as being useful.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Actually I was wondering if there was a generic chainguard ring I could buy to put in place of the outer ring. my son has one on his single chainset and it looks neat as well as being useful.

Yes, make sure you get one for your number of chainring teeth (39?)

Some are very thick and indeed act as bash rings, others are just to help keep the chain on and stop your trousers catching.

Here's a selection from Chainreaction but google bash rings and I'm sure you'll find some.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=143