MERCIAN

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Postby JohnW » 10 Apr 2007, 11:13pm

Thanks robbo, but actually both .co.uk and .com are on the letterhead the letterhead.

I've no doubt that those who know what they're doing with the internet (and I confess I don't) will know the difference and why it matters.

Anyway, thanks again for putting things right.

JohnW

rovers69

Postby rovers69 » 14 Apr 2007, 9:59am

Hi, well probably as a result of some v.helpful responses on here i made my way to Mercian, afetr bunking off work on Thursday afternoon. Bit of an experience really. Dead helpful, no fuss and ended up ordering a frame.
Ordered a 'Strada Speciale' but I did warn John who helped me pick the frame that i may change my mind, and I think I have. think want to go for a lugless jobby, lovely one on display in light blue, which I think i will almost mimic. I'll have to just put up with the wait for frame to arrive, but I suspect it will be worth it. In the mean time I have a rather nice blue and white striped 'Mercian' retro bottle to look at and even drink from.

I will be seeking advice on components over forthcoming months.
Cheers People.

PW

Postby PW » 14 Apr 2007, 7:47pm

953 is light :D stainless so it won't rust :D :D & I'm told that "according to the specs" my 13 1/2 stone won't break it! :oops: Only problem is the price. :cry:

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 14 Apr 2007, 11:13pm

Hello robbo - sorry to contradict, but both .com and .co.uk are quoted in the Mercian brochure.

Hello rovers69 - it was John Eley who measured me and took my order - I agree with you entirely. Did you tell him about the accolades they receive on this webbsite? - magazines often say ".....please mention us to our advertisers when making a purchase......"

Mercian were very patient and understanding with me as I made alterations.

Tell us when you've collected your frame, and how wonderful it is, won't you? What is the waiting period? I ordered mine in November, and althouigh I've seen it in its pre-painted form, I still haven't been summoned to collect, but thats ok because the thing is that a company who can build immediately is a company with no orders on its books, and the question of why it has no orders on its books is a good one.

JohnW

Tractorboy

My lovely Vincitore

Postby Tractorboy » 22 Apr 2007, 10:34pm

Mercian have just recently renovated my 21 year old Vincitore. I've put it on youtube. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPfWREl33M
Once you've had one, nothing else will do.
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Apr 2007, 11:13pm

I tried to look at your pictures via your link, but all I found was a shot of your handlebars from above.

Why not put a picture on here?

It is true that I'm no whizzkid with computers or the internet, but its all a waste of time and effort when there are such things as Mercians to ride, clean & polish, brag about etc.

I hope that you and your Vincitore are happy together.

JohnW

andwags

Postby andwags » 23 Apr 2007, 4:24pm

see below
Last edited by andwags on 23 Apr 2007, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

andwags

Postby andwags » 23 Apr 2007, 4:41pm

pliptrot wrote:
1. how on earth do you justify the high prices for titanium and composite frames? Everybody, it seems, is offering one (or both) of these in their line-ups, and this competition has evidently done nothing to reduce prices.

2. It's well known that if you could get Lance Armstrong to ride on square wheels, every cyclist would want a pair. Is this gullibility allowing the frame building industry to pull a fast one on us all and get big premiums from these "exotic" materials?

Pjl

As someone in the industry I thought I would like a crack at this. The reason Ti and Carbon get premium prices is down to man hours spent working the material. Laying up carbon for instance takes many hours - 28 hours for a top end frame vs. 3 hours welding a generic steel frame. The materials aren't massively more then metals and the Taiwanese will soon have us all on carbon instead of Aluminium as their lay up technologies get more efficient - Raleigh now have a complete carbon monocoque bike for £1000 when £1500 last year was the lowest recommended retail. This concept of time being spent creating a better bike is not foreign to steel - Pegoretti steel frames sell for £2000 as do Independent Fabrications or Sycip or Serotta or ... I could do this for a while.

The reality of the situation is that UK dealers love the exotic high price components and frames that people drool over and are willing to fork out for because it keeps them in business. The industry works more efficiently when people can make a living selling things that are £300 rather then £30. A dealer who sells cars, for instance, will make ten times what a cycle dealer will make.

So buy exotic frames from your local dealer and keep his business running if you find his business useful of course.

rovers69

Postby rovers69 » 23 Apr 2007, 7:44pm

That response by Andwags is an impressive explanation for a phenomenon that I have struggled to get my head around since taking steps towrd resuming my cycling career. So much choice and so much expensive kit.
Allied to the point about frames is the move toward cabon components, particularly chainsets. How does your average club riding, time trialling, road racing 'Joe' justify spending £300 plus on a carbon fibre chainset when he can get an alloy job for a third of the price?

The carbon versions on the market don't seem dramatically lighter, more aerodynamic or aesthetically pleasing.
I am beginning to think that it is a case of Emperors New Clothes.

I suppose the same ideas apply.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 23 Apr 2007, 7:55pm

Aw c'mon andwags - this thread is supposed to be about Mercian - threads relating to different materials are numerous, relevant and interesting, but your comments on this occasion are not, in my opinion, relevant to this thread.

My imminent Mercian frame in 631 is going to cost me about £600.00p plus headset, and they also do (among a whole host of various other options) a 953 (is that the number of Reynolds latest wonder steel?)/main diamond frame with carbon rear triangle and forks, one of which I've seen, and which is certainly on the exotic side, but it's unfair to suggest that bike shops are only interested in unnecessarily expensive exotic offerings, because its not true.

I've no doubt that Mercian, and LBSs will sell you want you want if you can get it. but my LBS actually sells more £100.00p approx alu frames than any other, whilst he rides steel frames himself, says so and makes sure his customers are aware of the benefits of steel - he doesn't build frames, but he knows a man who does, as they say.

JohnW

andwags

Postby andwags » 24 Apr 2007, 7:34am

At no point did I say that your LBS only wants to sell carbon fibre and expensive items, all I said was that they like them because they are a significant boost to the stores economy. If a dealer has to put in the work of selling ten frames at 100 or one at a 1000 which would they choose. That aside, I think what I said was relevant to Mercian and any UK frame builder.

The UK frames are less expensive because they aren't paying freight, distribution and duty costs on the complete frame. If you export to the US through a distributor, then a Mercian frame and fork is suddenly worth £1200 to an American for instance because of the added costs. Just another reason to buy British.

andwags

Re: My lovely Vincitore

Postby andwags » 24 Apr 2007, 9:09pm

Tractorboy wrote:Mercian have just recently renovated my 21 year old Vincitore.

Just looked at your bike on youTube. Very nice. I really like how the old and the new look together, like your carbon brake levers against the frame. Brilliant.

Tractorboy

Postby Tractorboy » 25 Apr 2007, 8:08pm

Thanks andwags. Believe it or not, I thought long and hard about the renovation and in particular how to get the performance I wanted, but also the right look. For instance I contemplated Rohloff - but it just wouldn't look right on that frame. The original frame had a little plate behind the BB for mounting a Sanyo dynamo. Wiring front and rear was internal. The dynamo still worked flawlessly right up until the bike's last end to end in August last year. The original bike had a TA triple and Shimano derailleurs. Campag record hubs and headset and Mavic MA2 rims. I'vew retained the Jim Blackburn front carrier, but put a Tubus on the rear. It keeps the panniers so much further back and lower too. The old brakes were Shimano cantis - as you can see the new ones are Avid. The Schmidt hasn't had an all night test yet, but no-one that I know who has one has ever had a fault. The Campag ergopowers were chosen after a lot of trials, and basically I agree with all that's said on an active thread about Campag vs Shimano elsewhere on the CTC message boards. Old Campag kit I have always seems to be in better nick than old Shimano stuff. I agree with whoever coined the phrase: "Campag wears in... Shimano wears out". Do you like the Swallow front brake hanger?
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

keyhavenpotterer

Postby keyhavenpotterer » 26 Apr 2007, 12:00pm

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 19 May 2007, 1:17am

Yesterday I collected my frame - it's all I hoped it would be, and all the places which take components give a good fit - I shan't scratch the seatpin too much, and the stem fits snug and tight but not too tight - no need to force it in; all threads are easy but positive and no slackness. And the finish...........

Whilst I was in the shop collecting my frame, two other chaps were being measured for new frames - one chap having read this thread. When it comes, you'll be very happy together.

I'm still assembling the "bits", and probably won't be on the road with it for a while, but satisfaction so far is unsurpassed. Anyone else want to tell us about their Mercians?

JohnW