Overshoes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Henry L

Overshoes

Post by Henry L »

Hi all,

Just bought a pair of Endura Neoprene Road Overshoes, and wore them for the first time today, I cycled to Reading and back, so about 35 miles.. and by the time I got home, there were chunks of the outer layer of neoprene missing from the inside of the overshoe... I'm assuming it was from rubbing against the crank arm...

I was wondering.. does this happen with all overshoes? Does anyone have any that they can recommend for keeping feet warm and dry in extreme weather? I want a pair that will last all winter.. Not just 30 miles

Henry
Colin63

Re: Overshoes

Post by Colin63 »

It's the fear of that happening that has stopped me from buying them for myself, though I've no experience, that and the impracticality of them for my style of riding which involves getting off to explore and examine things I see on a ride. Something I intend to try is using neoprene boot liners. I use them at work to line my wellies and work boots. They are very effective at keeping the feet warm and dry at work. When I've had a go on the bike I'll put a post with my impressions.
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

I got a pair of BBB neoprene overshoes earlier in the week and so far they've been excellent. They were very warm on the long ride today. I'm using SPD's and my feet have a fair bit of clearance from the crank arm.
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

It shouldn't happen I have been using a pair of Endura ones for 2 years and they are still intact. Before replacing with anything work out what is rubbing on what otherwise you'll end up destroying something else. However if you do want something more durable take a look at winter cycling boots. You could always use flat pedals and hiking boots. I do this if there is snow on the ground.
NUKe

Post by Henry L »

Are they a close fit to the shoe? waterproof too?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Henry
yes a close fit and yes waterproof too. I use them with MTB shoes with a rigid sole with a rigid sole which may help preserve them
NUKe

Post by mw3230 »

Haven't had them on this winter so far but I have a pair of Endura neoprene which I used last winter. Most successful I found them although there is some dampness on the inside from perspiration so they are not 100% dry.

I use SPDs and have no trouble with them rubbing or (so far) wearing prematurely

Would recommend them however
Retired and loving it
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Hi,
I bought some of the BBB ones last year and they are now into their second winter. They are heavier duty than anything I've tried before and fit well over MTB winter boots. I think they are great and better than anything I've tried before.
Lithril

Post by Lithril »

I bought a pair of the Endura road overshoes a couple of weeks ago, use them all last week for the cycle home and the kevlar reinforced base has already deteriorated and ripped at the front of both shoes. Going to send them back, if everyone is rating the BBB ones I'll give them ago.
daven1986

Post by daven1986 »

I too got the BBB overshoes, and they have worked for me. A tightish fit over my MTB shoes but they work and don't get in the way.