Is anyone using a Garmin Etrex as their only computer ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
paul2129

Is anyone using a Garmin Etrex as their only computer ?

Post by paul2129 »

Frustrated at the fact that I dropped and broke my Cateye cycle computer yesterday I pondered at the possibility of using my Garmin Etrex summit GPS reciever as my only cycle computer. I've ordered a handlebar mount and some high capacity rechargeable AA's so I can give it a try, somehow I think it'll find a place on the handlebar (once Amazon send it's mounting bracket) but does anyone use one of these as their sole computer ?
I can think that the only downsides are the fact that it has to take a couple of minutes to aquire the signal and the fact that you have to remember to charge the batteries.
Please post any comments

cheers

Paul.
ojw

Re: Is anyone using a Garmin Etrex as their only computer ?

Post by ojw »

Garmin Geko seemed to work quite well for getting speed and distance (disclaimer: I also make maps as a hobby, so it was useful for that too). I know other cyclists using the geko as a computer.

You have to stand still for a minute or so before getting the signal. It won't work in woods (newer ones might). And occasionally you find a dead-spot in coverage which does weird things to the readings. But most of the time it's pretty good.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

I have 2 Garmin's, that is the eTrek Venture and H. I use the H for the bike, never let me down yet.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I'm using an old Legend on one of my trikes. It's good for distance but lousy for speed taking a variable period of time to react to changes. I can crawl up a hill in bottom gear at 4 mph (It's a 15" bottom gear.) and as I crest and descend I can build up to top gear and the speed is still reading under 10mph. I know that with my cadence top gear is 20mph plus so the lag is really quite a big one. I tried my new Legend HCX for comparison and it reacts a lot quicker and with both units on the trike there is also a small error in distance covered.
Also the old unit, grey scale screen and at least 5 years old takes an age to be ready to navigate after switching on, the new one being much faster to be ready.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
CJ

Post by CJ »

Having run both my Etrex Vista Hcx and a bike computer on my last two tours, I think I'll be quite happy in future with just the GPS unit. The distance recording is certainly accurate enough, maximum and average speed also agree very closely.

It's true that current speed can often be way off (when moving slowly under trees, tall buildings or near a north-facing cliff), but when I'm moving that slowly I don't particularly want to be reminded just how slowly that is and almost enjoy the benefit of the doubt that I might actually be going somewhat quicker!

The Vista also records current altitude with excellent precision - as useful to know as distance when on a big climb. But I find that it's log of total climbing tots up a whole lot more than actual, which is the one fly in the ointment as far as I'm concerned.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I use my Vista as a computor when i am on tour - useful as it gives both moving and overall averages - only draw back is battery consumption - and remembering to turn it off on ferries

The Vista also records current altitude with excellent precision - as useful to know as distance when on a big climb. But I find that it's log of total climbing tots up a whole lot more than actual, which is the one fly in the ointment as far as I'm concerned.

Strange - mine is totally the oppisete - Often I have climbed 800m or so on the map and it registers about a 10th - the altitude readings though are almost always spot on
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Me. Legend HCX. But not always. I often cycle without a computer as I find them a bit of a distraction.
eltonioni

Post by eltonioni »

Maybe just invest in a basic fifteen quid Cateye Velo to sit alongside the Etrex if you want / need instant real time speed / distance info?
Robert

Post by Robert »

A Vista HCx is my only computer. I got fed up with cycle computers just stopping working. I bought a wireless one for the tandem which never worked properly and the others I have seem to stop working when they feel like it. The only down side of just using the etrex is that you don't get an individual reading for each bike, but that doesn't bother me much.
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

Yes, I use an eTrex Venture Cx as my only computer. Or sometimes a Geko 201. If I'm not using it for navigation, then I prefer the Geko as its smaller / lighter / simpler.
And I do like downloading the GPS track into SportTracks for getting lots of stats and keeping track of all of my rides, and weekly/monthly totals etc.
I'm now thinking about getting a Foretrex 401 so it can log heart rate as well (I currently have a separate Forerunner 50 for that).

I did have a Cateye Strada, which I liked for instant speed and cadence, but it didn't work very well in the rain, so I don't really bother with it now.