Long drop brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Secret Sam

Long drop brakes

Post by Secret Sam »

Right, now my old 531 is being submitted to Argos for renovation, I've an issue with brakes: it's got huge clearances, designed for 27" wheels with wide tyres, so have fitted some cheap long drop (58-73mm) dual pivot (nut fitting) calipers.

Trouble is, they won't last forever, so what do I do? Could get frame drilled for allen key brakes, but not sure if I can find any calipers (the current brakes are right at the top of their travel, so it's only about 58-60mm drop). Am totally at a loss, have asked Argos for advice but wondered if any wise sages on here could help.
My name...isn't really Sam
Freddie

Re: Long drop brakes

Post by Freddie »

Just wondering why you think the won't "last forever" and that a swankier, allen bolt pair might. If anything the cheapness might weigh in their favour, because as the price goes up people want to see the weight come down. That people still run Resilion cantilevers from the 30's might allay your fears, if not buy a second pair?.
Secret Sam

Post by Secret Sam »

Freddie wrote:Just wondering why you think the won't "last forever" and that a swankier, allen bolt pair might. If anything the cheapness might weigh in their favour, because as the price goes up people want to see the weight come down. That people still run Resilion cantilevers from the 30's might allay your fears, if not buy a second pair?.

Ah, yes :oops: could just buy a spare...at £10 a set they're not exactly expensive.

Don't get this whole lightness thing, I got back into cycling after 20 years off and SO much change in technology (carbon everything, STIs, 20 speeds!!!!) but the whole lightness thing makes I larff - "Ooh I must save 30g by spending £100 more on a set of brakes" - as said by someone with an ar5e like the back end of a bus (ie like mine :lol: )
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

It's a conundrum, obviously some marketeers have got in on the cycling game. On the one hand, it's nice that you can get things done when you go to an LBS, but on the other hand when you raise a question of a remotely technical nature you get a blank stare, OK, the old boy who took 3 months to build you a pair of wheels was a grumpy old git at times and wouldn't know hurry if he had it stamped into his forehead, but at least he knew bikes, rather than just how to sell them.

What are these £10 brakes you speak of?.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

How about canti's? If you're having a respray anyway. Some marketeer has re-invented the old-fashioned sort that stick out the side and work with road levers.

Grumpy old Colin. (Well, I'm entitled to be grumpy. What's the point in being retired when theres too much snow + ice to go out riding?)
Secret Sam

Post by Secret Sam »

Freddie wrote:It's a conundrum, obviously some marketeers have got in on the cycling game. On the one hand, it's nice that you can get things done when you go to an LBS, but on the other hand when you raise a question of a remotely technical nature you get a blank stare, OK, the old boy who took 3 months to build you a pair of wheels was a grumpy old git at times and wouldn't know hurry if he had it stamped into his forehead, but at least he knew bikes, rather than just how to sell them.

What are these £10 brakes you speak of?.

Ali-Bongos (Alhongas???) I think Spa sell them, anyhoo mine were unbranded and decidely sniffy bloke at Condor basically told me that was it in terms of options. But then, my bike cost less than a month's salary, I'm fat* and I don't have SPD-SL cleats surgically implanted into the soles of my feet so I probably didn't warrant more TLC.

They're fine but you get what you pay for. At least they work, more than can be said for my old Weinmann 633 Centre-pulls that they replaced (which were feckin' hopeless).

*Although that didn't stop them being nice to Alexei Sayle one day when he dropped in
Secret Sam

Post by Secret Sam »

531colin wrote:How about canti's? If you're having a respray anyway. Some marketeer has re-invented the old-fashioned sort that stick out the side and work with road levers.

Grumpy old Colin. (Well, I'm entitled to be grumpy. What's the point in being retired when theres too much snow + ice to go out riding?)

£25 extra per set for the braze ons, plus cable hanger out back. An extra £70+ onto a bill which (as I pointed out to Argos) is already greater than the original cost of the frame :oops: (mind you, you could pick up decent steelies for pennies back then, mine cost £150 in 1989ish all 531c).
meic

Post by meic »

Long reach, nut fitting Alhongas fitted 3 years and 8,000 miles ago. Going fine, I only wish I could get more of the pads that were on it, they were better than the Shimano's, Jagwires and something else that have been on since.
They get a bit of surface rust quite quickly but after the first proper service and regrease they havent been looked at again. If I was you I would worry about replacing them when the time comes to do so, as that day will probably never arrive.
Yma o Hyd
Secret Sam

Post by Secret Sam »

meic wrote:Long reach, nut fitting Alhongas fitted 3 years and 8,000 miles ago. Going fine, I only wish I could get more of the pads that were on it, they were better than the Shimano's, Jagwires and something else that have been on since.
They get a bit of surface rust quite quickly but after the first proper service and regrease they havent been looked at again. If I was you I would worry about replacing them when the time comes to do so, as that day will probably never arrive.

OK, ta - depending on price of Allen key conversion at Argos I may resist and keep what I've got.

Blocks: I use Aztec/Kool Stop on mine. I've got the original pads in a jar on a shelf!!!! Am impressed by the performance relative to original brakes; however, the V-brakes on my other bike are in another solar system again (although a bit 'on or off' - not much modulation)
rjb

Post by rjb »

You could allways make some drop bolts as described by Sheldon Brown and use normal drop calipers. Here is a link to an earlier post and a picture of a drop bolt i made to fit smaller wheels in my Dawes Kingpin. It actually looks neater in the flesh than the pic shows.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26948&p=214601&hilit=kingpin#p214601
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

SJSC do the nutted version of the Tektro R556
Willem
whoops

Post by whoops »

No longer available.
Last edited by whoops on 13 Jan 2010, 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Sam

Post by Secret Sam »

whoops wrote:Secretsam, would a pair of Weinmann 730 stirrups do the job you want? PM me if they will do, and I'll sort some out for you.

Muhahaha nah, I want brakes that work, if it was old ineffectivce Weinmanns that I wanted I'd put my old CPs back on

BTW - anyone want them? They are going spare
evansthecrank

Post by evansthecrank »

Another vote for the Tektro R556 nut fitting (got mine from Byercycles)

Nice finish, proper quick release, good braking.
RJC

Post by RJC »

whoops wrote:No longer available.

Are you sure? They did disappear for a while but they are now showing back in stock.

You won't find the nut fitting versions of this brake in the average bike shop, as the UK importer doesn't think there
is any demand. SJS ordered a batch direct and presumably shared them with Spa & Byercycles.

The quick release mechanism on this brake opens significantly more than the average dual-pivot which will make
getting wide tyres off easier but you won't have any brake at all if you forget to close them.