Help in how to identify an old Dawes frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin63

Help in how to identify an old Dawes frame

Post by Colin63 »

I've just salvaged a very battered Dawes bike from a friend's barn. I'd like to identify when it was made and the model etc.
It's in a very bad way, possibly not restorable, I'll find out when I strip off the many layers of paint and grime. The lugs are Nervex, and this is a photo of the BB showing a number (which I understand is the lug design number). I haven't yet found any other numbers though.
Can anyone get me started in the right direction please.

Dawes Frame Number.jpg
robgul

Re: Help in how to identify an old Dawes frame

Post by robgul »

There may be a number stamped on one of the rear dropouts ... but that doesn't help much as Dawes have no record of frame numbers/years etc AFAIK. Wheel size and brake type are probably indicators of the age

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

All I know of the history of the bike is that my friend says he bought the bike at the age of 15 and he's now in his mid 50s. I read that the frame number should be on the fork steerer tube, but I can't get to it as...
The GB bar stem is frozen solid. I've pulled a muscle trying to use physical force to twist it loose. I've read articles on how to free frozen seat posts, but they rather rely on being willing to sacrifice the post. I should re-title this thread 'My first restoration attempt' and get everyones advice as I progress (if I do!).

A Final Edit... The project is already abandoned :( . The corrosion is so bad that it would have been dangerous to try doing up the bike to a road worthy standard. The forks were very badly weakened. So it's off to the tip with it. If anyone can think of a way to get the bar stem out though I'd be pleased. It at least is worth salvaging.
robgul

Post by robgul »

.... have to say that if it's an ordinary GB stem they are so common at jumbles etc for no money that any effort/chemicals etc would not be worth the expenditure or time IMHO

If you really do want to try and save it - cut the headtube off the frame (saw through toptube/crossbar and downtube) and then immerse the whole of the tube + stem in a bowl of diesel - leave for a week - it may have penetrated enough to put the headtube in a vice and then lever the stem round. May be an old wives' tale but Coca Cola is rumoured to work too (don't drink it afterwards, it'll be flat :D )

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

robgul wrote:.... have to say that if it's an ordinary GB stem they are so common at jumbles etc for no money that any effort/chemicals etc would not be worth the expenditure or time IMHO

If you really do want to try and save it - cut the headtube off the frame (saw through toptube/crossbar and downtube) and then immerse the whole of the tube + stem in a bowl of diesel - leave for a week - it may have penetrated enough to put the headtube in a vice and then lever the stem round. May be an old wives' tale but Coca Cola is rumoured to work too (don't drink it afterwards, it'll be flat :D )

Rob

My real reason for wanting to try to save the bar stem is to learn how to do it, and to avoid throwing perfectly usable bits away. It does look like more work that it's worth though.
Here's what I was working with!
IMG_0356_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If you haven't got a wheel truing stand then save the forks as that's what I use.
I also have a frame (still needs sawing up) that I use for the back wheels.

Also save any parts that you can get off. Someone somewhere wants them.

Edit. to get the forks out - cut through the stem above the headset. This should allow the headset nuts and bearings to be removed. Save the bars.
Last edited by cycleruk on 23 Jan 2010, 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'll have the chain.
I like a challenge!

Only joking! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Mick F wrote:I'll have the chain.
I like a challenge!
Only joking! :wink:

When I took the chain off it stayed that shape!
fraxinus

Post by fraxinus »

Not sure if you have tried this Colin. Unscrew the stem bolt so it is above the stem then hit it with a hammer this pushes the clamping nut thing out of the bottom of the stem which sometimes is enough to loosen the stem.
So many bike rides so little time
spanner

Post by spanner »

i got a dawes debonair frameset and pair of wheels today for nothing its got its bb axle and cups and seat post but nothing else frame is a bit scruffy but it could build up into a reasonably good bike
im building up a dawes jaguar frameset at the mo got it a few years ago off a vcc member for nothing along with a 1959 dawes double blue its scruffy paint wise and unfortunately its not possible to get new transfers for it either
hope to get the jaguar up and running this week hopefully, as regards a year id with the frame number the vcc has a marque enthusiast for dawes but only vcc members are allowed to contact him and am bound by club rules not to divulge his email address or phone number sorry
the frame number on my dawes is at the top of the seat tube yet on my 59 double blue its stamped on the nearside dropout
Crankset

Post by Crankset »

Spanner,

I have just acquired an old bare Dawes Frame (number 1387 on the outside of both dropouts).

Would you be kind enough to ask your expert acquaintance whether he can provide any information on age and Model?

Kind Regards