Dawes Vantage - entry level rugged tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pioneer

Re: Dawes Vantage - entry level rugged tourer

Post by pioneer »

While it's true that the Royal' is only approx £50.00 more, the finish is rubbish. (at least mine was!). The paint chipped VERY EASILY, actually during the first week, right down to bare metal. The replacement bike was so badly assembled that I kept it for all of one day then gave it back and got a full refund. A great shame really as the frame (paint finish aside) seemed like quality and gave a very good ride. "If" Raleigh can sort out these quality control issues, then yes, the Royal' will be excellent VFM.

And if Spa' can do the new Vantage for £370.00, if I could afford one now, I'd buy one.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I've just checked out the current Dawes Horizon at Spa'.Apart from the Royal' being a 4130 chromo' frame and the Horizon a Reynolds 520,they look identical. Funny old thing eh?
revellinho

Post by revellinho »

Just in case anyone finds this rather old thread - I have owned a Dawes Vantage for about a year now, having bought it as an entry level tourer for days out in The Lakes and Dales plus a few overnight hostel trips, using either a saddle bag or rear panniers (so not too much weight). As a relative novice I found the gearing OK - I get up the Kirkstone OK on it and have even taken it over all the main passes incuding the Honister and HardKnott without having to get off - though I have had to stop and rest due to the bike's poor engine. I don't have any experience of other more expensive tourers, but if you are looking to ride between 50 and 100 miles a day at a fairly gentle pace, then this bike will do the job if you are on a budget. I find it a comfortable ride, and as long as you get your set up right, you should appreciate the advantages of its relatively upright position. The saddle as supplied seems very comfortable to me. I bought some touring shoes and cleats to use with the bike and this has been the limiting factor - on long rides I get problems with pressure to the ball of my foot, but I put up with that because I don't like the pedalling action with the pedals/straps as supplied. I need to have a look at a cleat/shoe set up that will ease the pressure, but the solution will probably cost about 30% of the actual bike cost, which is why I have not done it already. I get a bit frustrated that this bike is a fair bit slower than a standard road bike, but you pays your money and makes your choice - you can't have the comfort,low gearing and load carrying facilities that this bike offers if you go for a more 'racy' sort of bike. My other road bike is a bit of a vintage model - a Dawes Lightning (I am not a young man!) - I agree that the steel frame gives a bit more power, but feel that at the price, the Vantage is a good all round entry level tourer and having thrashed it for a year now have not got any serious misgivings.
horizon

Post by horizon »

That's really useful feedback, revel.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Gaz1961

Post by Gaz1961 »

Thank you everybody. I realise this thread is a couple of years old but I've been looking to get hold of a Vantage, and what I've read here has made my mind up for me. Cheers! Gaz.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

revellinho wrote:- I agree that the steel frame gives a bit more power, but feel that at the price........

Could you explain what you mean by the above statement,as I find its Alu thats stiffer and therefore power transfer is better,particular when climbing and particular around the BB area which is where I can detect flex in some steel frames

BTW Glad you're enjoying your Vantage. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think that revellinho is over the hills and far away on his Vantage and long gone! Shows what a good bike it is.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:I think that revellinho is over the hills and far away on his Vantage and long gone! Shows what a good bike it is.

Checked it was April,just didn't check the year :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden