Splitting powerlink, lubricating rear mech, dirty hands, etc

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
patricktaylor

Splitting powerlink, lubricating rear mech, dirty hands, etc

Post by patricktaylor »

I've always used Shimano chains with the special pins, but recently I fitted a SRAM PC951 chain with gold powerlink. I know there's a special tool, but how are you supposed to split this powerlink by hand? I've jiggled it about in all directions and it won't come apart, even if I make an inverted 'U' and press hard. It's been on my bike less than 2 weeks.

Related to this (part of the same job), my rear mech is filthy after the winter. The spring especially is all gunged up. Obviously I can drench the whole thing in a Muck Off type cleaner and use a brush to clean it down, but do I need to lubricate the rear mech afterwards? Does it matter if the cleaning fluid penetrates the hinges?

One other thing (part of the same job) - is there a recommended hand cleaning solution for afterwards. I've scrubbed my hands in washing up liquid about four times today and I'm wondering if there's a product that works better without harm to the skin. I do have latex gloves but it's a nuisance to keep taking them on and off, and they also tend to tear.
Justin

Re: Splitting powerlink, lubricating rear mech, dirty hands, etc

Post by Justin »

Swarfega cleans the hands well, followed by a couple of washes with washing up liquid.
Sorry can't help with the chain issue.
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

In theory, the powerlink is separated by pressing the centre of the link, then pushing the links on either side in towards the powerlink. The powerlink should then separate.

In practice, I've found this only works when you've just put on a new chain (i.e. before you've ridden it). Once you've been on a couple of rides, it becomes impossible to separate by hand. So I invested in a Park Tools MLP-1 for the job, which has proved absolutely marvellous. It is admittedly a bit annoying to have a tool that I use for just one second in the year, but it works.

Whenever I wash my bicycle, I always give the rear mech a good scrub then lubricate the moving parts and the spring. It seems to do the job.

Swarfega do a heavy duty hand cleaner that's quite good at getting rid of oil on the hands, with a bit of scrubbing. I've also found that the little wipes you can get for cleaning spectacles are reasonably effective at a push. Though in practice, I find that that latex gloves are the answer.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
fraxinus

Post by fraxinus »

I have used long nosed pliers in the centre of the link (across the width) to squeeze it together then push the link from both ends at the same time. Very fiddly things.
So many bike rides so little time
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

See this post. As Mr RY says the Park Tools tool does the job, tho I've not bought one yet. I've never needed one before now. I t could be possible to improve the link with no apparent risk to safety. The pins have to over-ride some little ramps for the link to release. It should be possible to file (needle file) these ramps down a bit so that the pins can ride over them more easily. At any rate, have you tried squeezing the link (from the sides) together when you push it apart? I've never had any serious problems with the gold link, only the silver one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, those links are difficult, to say the least! I didn't have too much trouble with 9sp, but the 10sp ones are a pain in the wotsit. Perseverance eventually works.

Lubing the rear mech? I don't generally do anything to it at all. Leave it alone.

Every now and again, if it gets mucky, I take off the back cage-plate and clean and lube the jockey wheels, then reassemble. That's it.

I have taken the complete rear mech apart once or twice and stripped it down to its component parts and rebuilt with grease, but not often.

Hands?
Swarfega seems to shift the muck off me ok.
Mick F. Cornwall
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Don't bother with Muc off - it's a load of ol' muck if you ask. White spirit is great as a solvent of dirt and grease. Or citrus degreaser, which is superb for cleaning your hands as well, but much more expensive. Just lube all the pivots and wipe clean after you've given them a little flexing to get the lube worked in.
I've just rediscovered Wilko Maintenance Spray, which I'm using for everything except chain lube. It leaves a good protective residue of oil, much more than WD40.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Many thanks.

(1) White spirit.
(2) Swarfega.

I don't really want to be carrying another special tool when I'm touring, as I already take a chain splitter on a multi-tool and some Shimano special pins plus a few spare links. The powerlink thing is a bit disappointing if you can't undo them by hand. What's the point if you need another tool?

The job in hand is fitting new jockey wheels, but one thing leads to another.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cleaning hands? Fairy, but not the washing up liquid. Clothes washing liquid or gel. It doesn't have to be Fairy, I've used Bold and Aerial as well.

I can't guarantee that it's the best thing for your hands, if you've got any cuts they'll sting. It does get them cleaner than washing up liquids and if you return to another job shortly after it has a sort of barrier effect to further grease build up. The next batch comes off more easily.

Another recommended technique is digging your fingernails into a bar of soap before starting the job. It's harder for the dirt to get in afterwards and it comes out easier too, or so I've heard as I always forget to try it myself.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Wipperman Connex magic links are a breeze!! :D
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

All the above hand washing tips are good but try washing the dishes by hand - the longer immersion in soapy waters seems to do it for me
Retired and loving it
glueman

Post by glueman »

At the end of Feb Aldi had something called Heavy Duty Beaded hand cleaner in stock. When I went last week there was quite a few left in stock. I'm going to try and lay my hands on some today and will report. £2.99 a tub.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Get some cheap diposable surgical gloves. Otherwise my hands are mucky for weeks after a chain maintenance event!

BTW I've never had a problem getting powerlinks apart (that is until now I assume :D ).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The type of oil you use makes a difference. I use Motorex Wetlube (bio degradable) and it is much easier to remove from your hands, often just a firm wipe with a rag will remove most of the black stuff.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fatboy wrote:Get some cheap diposable surgical gloves. Otherwise my hands are mucky for weeks after a chain maintenance event!
+1 (Halfords sell them.) Put a pair in your toolkit for emergencies.
fatboy wrote:BTW I've never had a problem getting powerlinks apart (that is until now I assume :D ).
+ 1 too :lol: - provided you remember to squeeze & slide....
"42"