BBC Working Lunch - Chris Juden

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rualexander

BBC Working Lunch - Chris Juden

Post by rualexander »

Chris Juden had a brief slot on BBC's Working Lunch yesterday :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/working_lunch

The bit on cycling starts at about 23 minutes in if you want to skip the rest.
pete75

Re: BBC Working Lunch - Chris Juden

Post by pete75 »

Never seen it before. Naga is very easy on the eye Declan somewhat less so :)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Thanks for the link!

Didn't think much of that £40 packpack!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Well done Chris. Not a trace of nerves. Does anyone know which pump that was?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Chuck Glider wrote:Well done Chris. Not a trace of nerves. Does anyone know which pump that was?

Looked like one of the Topeak 'Morph' series of pumps, I have the Mini Morph and it is a great pump.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry Chris, and sorry BBC, I thought the programme was naff.
Mick F. Cornwall
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Thanks for the post/link.

It was good to see Chris.

A bit harsh Mick? Obviously a quick cycling slot on a programme with a wide (but short timed), business agenda. "Working Lunch" says it all? Any publicity is good publicity? Much better to see Chris there with a good CTC mention than some trade rep extolling the virtures of an "essential" £150 Merino wool commuting jersey or the trend in single/fixed speeds?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, a bit harsh perhaps.

I thought the programme was a bit cheap and nasty, and Chris's section was rushed and incomplete. I got the impression that Chris was embarrassed because of the poor presentation. Pity, because Chris has much to say about bike stuff and he could have been given a better slot. He was rushed by the presenter.

"CTC is the national cyclists' organisation"
oh yes?
Mick F. Cornwall
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Chuck Glider wrote:Well done Chris. Not a trace of nerves. Does anyone know which pump that was?
+1.
Topeak Road Morph (with gauge): as used by Mark Beaumont(?), but works fine for me too!
"42"
glueman

Post by glueman »

I agree with Mick. CJ tried to explain things in a TV format for which explanations are anathema. Where do you go from the opening question of 'is it a footpump?' Re-education was never on the menu, but a valiant effort anyway. A fixed and Rapha would have appealed more to the Working Lunch audience, 'so your legs go round when the wheels go round - coool!' and 'how much for a cycling jumper? Perhaps bikers aren't all impoverished [ another tedious repetition ] after all!'
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'm with Mick on this. Not exactly going to encourage anyone to go to work on a bike.
Starts of with a guy puffing up a hill :oops:

## Gadgets to take a way the excuses not to ride - their joking aren't they. :roll: ##

1) Chain cleaner. (£25)
2) Backpack. You have to spend £40 to buy a backpack as a normal one makes you sweaty. (very encouraging :? )
3) Handlebar Bag. (£35) (Because the rear mudguard is in the way - then get some decent mudguards) 8)
4)Multi tool - Oh yes! your going to maintain a bike with that. (£17)
£97 :cry:

But fair does to CJ :D

Quote Declan = "We are a bit funny about panniers in this country" - well he got something right. 8)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Si

Post by Si »

"We are a bit funny about panniers in this country"

Good thing that Declan didn't mention toe/wheel overlap :twisted:

For what it was I thought that the piece was OK. Given that it was only a minute or three long and controlled by the show's producers I think that Chris had little chance of single handedly changing the nation's lifestyles! But it showed cycling as something positive (and something that you can get clever gadgets for - this would seem to appeal to some), and that's the main thing.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I think the best bit was when Chris basically said the Cateye? light was rubbish, nice to have some honesty on daytime tv.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Freddie wrote:I think the best bit was when Chris basically said the Cateye? light was rubbish, nice to have some honesty on daytime tv.

But it was a novelty and like the Itera, automatic gearing and shaft drive, more valuable air-time for its amusing uselessness than its practicality.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Given the upsurge in cycling for utility and leisure, is it time bike culture had a proper (no doubt brief and late night) programme dedicated to it? It would be good to dispel a few myths and spread appreciation of cycles and cycling.