Brooks and Nikwax

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robwa10

Brooks and Nikwax

Post by robwa10 »

I've been looking through some of the previous Brooks related posts and I see that Proofhide is talked about a lot. However, after I forgot to put a bag over my Brooks in today's rain I was thinking about the Nikwax I used on my boots. What are other peoples thoughts on how it may effect the longevity of the saddle? I've really enjoyed the saddle so far, last Saturday was the first time I've done a long distance and not been uncomfortable, so I don't want to damage it. Has anyone else used Nikwax or similar on their saddle to waterproof it?
Just Rob please.
hamish

Re: Brooks and Nikwax

Post by hamish »

I used Nikwax because unlike proofhide, it made the saddle less slippery when new - this helped me stay on it and break it in. I seemed to do a good job - certainly didn't think it did any harm. Mind you, I never put a bag over my saddles and they seem to last ok.
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

By the way, it's proofide.
Pedantically yours, etc.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Saddles made of leather, boots made of leather - both products are designed to protect leather ..... I wouldn't have thought either has a magic ingredient that makes them especially suitable for a specific function
Retired and loving it
fredkite

Post by fredkite »

My lovely Brooks B66 is in its 24th year and 4th bike. I have never used anything but Proofide. For best results - "Follow the makers instructions". (This applies both to spiritual matters and Brooks saddles).
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

fredkite wrote:My lovely Brooks B66 is in its 24th year and 4th bike. I have never used anything but Proofide. For best results - "Follow the makers instructions". (This applies both to spiritual matters and Brooks saddles).

What does the good book say about fettling your saddle?
Retired and loving it
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

For what it's worth, i think there is a world of difference between the two and it's madness to put Nikwax on a Brooks.
Proofide is designed to be used very sparingly - twice a year is my habit - and to prevent the leather becoming stiff and brittle. It is not primarily a waterproofer.
Nikwax is designed to be used almost every time you wear a pair of leather boots and is designed to soften and waterproof the leather to make them more comfy.
You don't want a Brooks to become soft too quickly - it needs to be fairly stiff. After all, if the makers wanted it to be more flexible they would have made them with leather half the thickness. But you do want leather boots to be waterproof and soft. You do not need a Brooks to be waterproof - after all, there'll be a large fleshy thing protecting it from the rain.
The two products are very different.
grw

Post by grw »

MartinBrice wrote:For what it's worth, i think there is a world of difference between the two and it's madness to put Nikwax on a Brooks.

Maybe so. I've been using some generic brand of leathercare cream for a couple of years on my brooks, and the same stuff on my walking boots. The saddle is pretty comfortable, and still pretty stiff. And I haven't started licking the windows yet...
grw
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If you use Nikwax won't it penetrate the "nick" :oops: :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I don't know if it's such a precise science. A bit of Nikwax didn't change my saddle at all- except to make it less grippy when new. A friend used surf wax to the same effect. I think Brooks saddles are tough as old (leather :lol: ) boots. I have had one of mine since college and never looked after it. It still works.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You might end up with waterproof shorts :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Russell160 wrote:By the way, it's proofide.
Pedantically yours, etc.

Really sad and pedantic, shouldn't it be a capital P

Proofide
hamish

Post by hamish »

You might end up with waterproof shorts

Yes - I think I did! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using Nikwax on Mrs R2's two Brooks saddles for years with no ill effects.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using Nikwax on Mrs R2's two Brooks saddles for years with no ill effects.We've just done 600miles in two weeks in Majorca and out of the party of four she was the only one who didn't suffer any saddle interface problems :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden