Smaller outer ring on compact chainset?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ray

Smaller outer ring on compact chainset?

Post by Ray »

I have Shimano Ultegra 6700 compact (34/50 - 10 speed) which runs and changes beautifully, but I find the step between rings too large, necessitating at least a double change when going between chainrings. As the 50 also provides higher gears than I ever need (age taking its toll), I wonder about changing the outer ring for something like 44 or 45.
Can anyone advise whether a compatible ring (not necessarily Shimano Ultegra, although I know I risk spoiling the sleek appearance) is available and whether such a change would be likely to upset the slick changing which I now get with the Sti levers and Ultegra front changer?
Or can anyone suggest any other solution, short of a complete change of transmission, levers etc?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
djnotts

Re: Smaller outer ring on compact chainset?

Post by djnotts »

Seems to be a fair bit of info here:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4068

MY guess is that a 48 be fine with a "non-compact" front mech - but at <48 a "compact specific" mech would be better. I assume can get 10 speed rings in the size(s) you seek - or if not that 9 speed would do?
Ray

Post by Ray »

djnotts wrote:Seems to be a fair bit of info here:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4068

MY guess is that a 48 be fine with a "non-compact" front mech - but at <48 a "compact specific" mech would be better. I assume can get 10 speed rings in the size(s) you seek - or if not that 9 speed would do?

Thanks for the link (sorry, should have done more of a search before asking!). Some useful info there. My front mech is 'compact-specific' so, as you say, it should probably cope with a smaller ring. I don't think an Ultegra outer is available in the size I'd like, and I don't know whether a 9-spd ring would be equally suitable. Can anyone advise what rings I should be looking for, please?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gaz

Post by gaz »

You need to establish the number of arms (easy) and BCD (slightly harder) of the chainset and then search for suitable rings.

At a guess it will be 5 arms and 110BCD. BCD is Bolt Circle Diameter, the diameter of an imaginary circle passing through the centre of the chain ring bolts. There's a useful table here.

110BCD rings should be easy to find at Spa Cycles made by either Stronglight or TA.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

BTW I run a 38T outer on a "compact" triple using a standard 52/3T road double front mech.

I've been running that set up for over 20 years without problems but I don't use front indexing. I have tried front indexing but as the front mech wasn't index compatible it was very harsh. Nevertheless it did work.
Last edited by gaz on 2 Jun 2023, 9:02am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Ray

Post by Ray »

Thank you both for your help.
I measured the bolt centres and it is indeed 110BCD. Both Spa and SJS do TA 9/10 speed rings in 44/45 teeth, which look as if they should work. Having successfully run a triple mtb-type chainset in the past with a double road front changer, I would expect there to be more tolerance of 'mis-matched' components than manufacturers would have us believe.
Next time I'm near Harrogate I'll call in on those nice people at Spa Cycles and ask their advice.

Happy cycling

Ray
Ray
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Get TA rings over Stronglight if longevity is an issue.

TA are also very shiny!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.