where to get New bars to Fit old stems (eg Cinelli)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dvines

where to get New bars to Fit old stems (eg Cinelli)

Post by dvines »

Ona period rebuild I want use an old cinelli 1A stem (26.4mm clamp if I am correct........??)

I'm not keen on using old bars (metal fatigue etc.) but new bars seem to be different clamp diameter

26.0 seems just about obtainable, but many are now 31.8 ??

i am assuming one cannot use a 26.0 bar in a 26.4 stem..... does anyone make a shim this thin ?? I am not keen onthe idea of bits of coke-can slid in...

Can you get any 26.4mm drop bars from anywhere still ??

Nitto seem to be 25.4or 26.0
CJ

Re: where to get New bars to Fit old stems (eg Cinelli)

Post by CJ »

No bars have been made in 26.4 for ten years or more. You can get away with small differences in a front opening (two or four bolt) stem, but the simple pinch clamp of an old Cinelli 1A will not clamp snugly enough on 26.0. A shim that thin is possible, some beer cans are near enough 0.2mm wall, but is hellishly difficult to put neatly in place.

I'd just use a pair of old but good quality bars. If you're worried about metal fatigue: look for the sort which are thickened and reinforced at the centre with an external sleeve. Most best quality dropped bars (inc. Cinelli and Specialized) used to be made like that in 26.4, before going over to the neater-looking outer bulge with inner reinforcement. In that good old design, the outer sleeve should fatigue first (if at all), so you ought to see a tell-tale crack in that before the underlying bar as a whole has even started to fail.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
petzl

Post by petzl »

dvines wrote:Ona period rebuild I want use an old cinelli 1A stem (26.4mm clamp if I am correct........??)

I'm not keen on using old bars (metal fatigue etc.) but new bars seem to be different clamp diameter

26.0 seems just about obtainable, but many are now 31.8 ??

i am assuming one cannot use a 26.0 bar in a 26.4 stem..... does anyone make a shim this thin ?? I am not keen onthe idea of bits of coke-can slid in...

Can you get any 26.4mm drop bars from anywhere still ??

Nitto seem to be 25.4or 26.0

If all else fails. You can make up a secure and safe shim by using Brass Shim Sheet. The sheet comes in all thicknesses, widths and lengths and available from any mail order model and full size engineering outlet. Work out the thickness of sheet you need, not forgetting it will be half the difference in diameter you need to make up. The sheet is easily cut with domestic scissors, you will have a couple of false starts however you will soon get the hang of finding out how far to insert the sheet before offering up the handle bars. If you do a neat job their will be little of the brass sheet on view.
lukepinkhandbag

Post by lukepinkhandbag »

Just one word....NITTO!!
robinlh

Post by robinlh »

SJSC have some bars that will fit,I've just bought some.
I am very tall,and not particularly lightly built,and if I've never ever broken or bent 26.4 bars in 50 years then I find it hard to believe that we need anything thicker,it just adds weight and unecessary complication.
Alloy bars will fatigue over time,and that is why I change my very old ones after about ten years.All it proves s that steel is the right thing to make bars and stems from,and with modern steels I don't think there needs to be a significant weight penalty.
But..........fashion!
If CJ,who is a real engineer, wants to shoot me down on this I would welcome his observations,I'll undoubtedly learn something,as will we all.
Robin
dvines

Post by dvines »

Hi Robin

just looked at SJS cyles website.. couldn't see any 26.4.. only 26.0mm clamp sized bars....
did you get yours online ?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I reckon you could get a beer can shim to fit. To get the right thickness of shim you may have to go looking for old discarded cans to find metal of ideal thickness. If you can't find can shim that will fill the gap, you could go to a model engineering suppliers who would have brass sheeting of varying thickness. The main thing to determine is that when tightened, the clamp doesn't deform too much (<1mm?). To get the shim in you will need some way of tacking it to the bars. Ideas? Perhaps hold the shim in place with zip ties. As you shuffle the assembly into place just ease the zip ties bac, bit by bit. Or bind the shim onto the bars with insulation tape, the slowly unwind the tape as you ease the shimmed bars into place.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

If you make your shim out of brass or aluminium (as recommended above), you can just make it wider than the stem clamp, but deeply scored at the right width, using a sharp knife or scriber.
Fit the shim to the handlebars with the score on the outside, then fit the handlebars to the stem, leaving the shim sticking out of each side of the clamp, but with the score marks exactly level with the end of the clamp.
Then just lift the edge of the shim with a fine screwdriver and tear off the excess with a pair of pliers - it will tear along the score mark, if it is deep enough.

I've had success using this technique for making gaskets, and it gives a neat finish.
coulbikie

Post by coulbikie »

I have selection of cinelli 66/42 & 66/44 bars 26.4mm dia., used but never damaged.
PM me if interested
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Nitto stems are really nice and available new to suit 26.0mm bars.

Alternatively, new-old-stock 26.0mm stems appear on ebay - I recently picked up a lovely 3TTT stem for a silly price, plus I saw a couple of Shimanos fly by.