Can anyone recommend an affordable touring bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
woodsinho

Can anyone recommend an affordable touring bike?

Post by woodsinho »

I've agreed to cycle Land's End to John O' Groats this May with a friend of mine and am beginning to look for a suitable bike. Initial inquiries seem to suggest that if I buy new it will involve a fairly sizeable financial outlay - if I go for a cheap bike am I potentially saddling myself with a bike that might not make it?

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced but quality option?

What should I expect to be paying for a bike that won't let me down?!

Cheers,

Alex
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Secondhand Dawes Galaxy or Horizon would be my own preference, especially as they appear quite regularly on Ebay.
However, ride what you feel most comfortable with as you will be spending a lot of hours in the saddle. Most bikes will get you there, after all, they tend to last quite a time and do a hefty mileage before they become beyond repair.

For a fairly inexpensive new bike option, have a look at the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op site.

Alternatively, borrow one! :D
ed_o_brain

Post by ed_o_brain »

If you want new, Ridgeback Horizon?

I think it retails at around £550. Maybe less.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=557&seriesID=41&show_bike=TRUE

Failing that, can't go wrong with a Galaxy.
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it
woodsinho

Post by woodsinho »

Thanks for your advice.

Had been told that Dawes was a good bet and have found an '06 Horizon for only 380 squid, so think that's what I'll go for.

Thanks again.

Alex
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

What size are you? Because Edinburgh Bike Co-op have small and mediums in their revolution Country for £349 and this bike is, I believe, the same as a Horizon. I have one of the last steel frames Horizons and I love it. Some bits that I'd want to change but it rides really well and is really confortable so you shouldn't have any problems. N.B. The EBC Country and Horizon are now Aluminium which is not considered to be great for a tourer. Cycling plus liked them all the same http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/news/reviews/REVOLUTION-Country.html
tb

Post by tb »

hi Alex,
I don't know how much luggage you are planninng on carrying,panniers etc. But if I was looking for a new tourer I would consider a Mercian.
Very well built & British, some good S/H examples on ebay last year at reasonable prices i.e less than £500.
Also Thorn Cycles do a range to suit all tastes and have good reports.
good luck
stof

Post by stof »

Before buying new, do take a close look at the 2nd hand bargains on sites like this. If you're tall there are two bikes at the moment, a Nomad (extremely heavy duty, do anything tourer) for £400 and a Galaxy for £350.

In terms of what you get for what you pay, either of these is better than a new bike at a similar price and both have full racks fitted, which can add another £80+ to the price if you need them for the new bike.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

You could always buy a trailer from the above mentioned Edinburgh cycles and tow it with your existing bike, apparently it even takes less effort :wink:
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/cata ... fm?ID=3485