What road bike tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

What road bike tyres?

Post by noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk »

Hi. Back to the fount of all knowledge......

My son's road bike (Giant SCR 1.5) has a cut in the front tyre - not huge but big enough to see the tube peeking in at the bottom ....Obviously it needs replacing.

I know what I would recommend if it was a touring tyre he was looking for, but have no real idea about road bike tyres.

It is currently fitted with a Kenda Kontender Competition 700 x 26c. What tyres would you recommend as a replacement for these?

NB he is an impoverished student so can't afford really expensive ones.

Thanks,

Noel
Big T

Re: What road bike tyres?

Post by Big T »

I ride Michelin Lithions on my best bike, about £14 each. Seem quite resistant to cuts and puncture-resistant. My wife has Michelin Speediums on her bike and I think they are a bit cheaper. Again, quite good for cuts and punctures, but a bit heavier than the Lithions. Gatorskins are good but expensive. I paid £22 for the last one i bought. Others to consider would be Vittoria Rubinos.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
PW

Post by PW »

I don't know the prices but roadies I know swear by Fortezza Tricomps. Apparently grippy, fast rolling & P******* resistant. Personally I'd go for Panaracer Pasela in 700X25C, I know I can trust those and they go like hell.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

+1 for Paselas or Conti Gatorskins here:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18800 fast and good in the wet :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

I've ridden a good few of the higher-end road tyres on the market now. Improverished student means you want a fire and forget tyre that will do everything and last a long time (both in terms of wear rate and resistance to write-off-cuts). I'd suggest either Rubino Pros or Michelin Krylions in 700x25c guise. Fast, tough, reasonably light weight, good grip, not crazy expensive, and you'll get over 4000miles out of either of them so good value on a per-mile cost basis. For something a bit more special, Conti GP4000 is probably the compromise tyre of the race-tyre selection, being grippy, tough, and a reasonable ride quality, without being outstanding in any one area, though clearly a little bit pricier.
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

PS I have 28mm Paselas on my tourer and, while they're great tyres, they don't quite compare to something like the Rubino Pro for pure road use, and certainly not to something like the GP4000.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What is he doing with the bike ?
For general road use Continental Gator skins 25mm
If too expensive then Vittoria Rubino are excellent value

If carrying weight for toring then I'd personally go Gatorskins or maybe panacellas.

But unless he's particularly young why don't you get him to choose his own
NUKe