water bottle cage mounts for handlebars

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
spanner

water bottle cage mounts for handlebars

Post by spanner »

anyone know how i can mount a water bottle cage on the handlebars of my flying scot?
problem is the pump fits on the downtube and dont really fancy fitting a cage to the seat tube as dont want to scratch the paintwork(its immaculate)
have seen handlebar mounting brackets but they were £6 plus postage
any ideas of how i could make a home made one?
the bracket for sale was like a front derallieur bracket with holes for mounting the cage possible to adapt a bracket off an old front mech perhaps?
any suggestions would be helpful
many thanks
bodach

Re: water bottle cage mounts for handlebars

Post by bodach »

I have got a front mounting double bottle cage somewhere which I will never use funnily enough off my old Flying Scot.A couple of jubilee clips will fasten it to the bars.You can have it for the carraige cost.PM me if poss. Next week I will be travelling to Aberdeen if you live anywhere en route from the west coast.You may not get a reply for some time as I will be on tour for 2 or 3 weeks.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Just type "handlebar bottle cage" into google and you'll find plenty of options
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rualexander wrote:Just type "handlebar bottle cage" into google and you'll find plenty of options

Not much under six quid....
prm

Post by prm »

Try plumbers plastic pipe clips, fixed to the cage mounts and fitted to the bars or stem.

About 6p each :D

Regards
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Is SIX quid really such a big deal for the finishing touches to an immaculate Flying Scot? "Ha'porth o' tar" comes to mind!
ddddddd

Post by ddddddd »

For £5, or less, a clamp with the bottle cage included, branded "Oxford", but the writing can be easily obliterated. This cage also has an extra (third) bolt hole giving the option of conventional mounting. So you could possibly use the clamp with a nicer cage for your good looking bike and put the Oxford cage to use on a lesser steed.

Just yesterday saw a very similar looking aluminium cage*, but with single bolt arrangement and probably a better level of finish. £19 plus, at
theoldbicycleshowroom
I've no knowledge of them: The Old Bicycle Company
Has anyone ordered stuff off them?
spanner

Post by spanner »

prm wrote:Try plumbers plastic pipe clips, fixed to the cage mounts and fitted to the bars or stem.

About 6p each :D

Regards

your idea is simlar to an idea i was pondering only it was the pipe clips for elcetrical conduit
there is an electricians shop in town will try there and also the plumbers merchants at the trading estate if no luck at the sparkies
spanner

Post by spanner »

djnotts wrote:Is SIX quid really such a big deal for the finishing touches to an immaculate Flying Scot? "Ha'porth o' tar" comes to mind!

i thought it would be better to try and rig something up myself than having to spend six quid for a clamp that could be home made instead
spanner

Post by spanner »

BODACH ive sent a pm re the waterbottle cage