Dawes Blowfish or Islabike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hpsaucey

Dawes Blowfish or Islabike?

Post by hpsaucey »

Hello there,

I've unashamedly joined the forum to post a question (although I'm an old CTC member so don't feel TOO guilty).

I want to buy my 5-year old his first bike. I'm torn between the Islabike Cnoc16 and the Dawes Blowfish, only because our LBS sells the Dawes so my son could try it out. I'd love to get him the islabike but wondered if being able to try the Dawes makes this a good option or is the islabike simply too too superior???

I bought him a Puky scooter online - great quality - only to find that despite the size and age guide it was too big for him so am just slightly reluctant to buy without trying this time. And, of course, its good to support the bikeshop!

Any help gratefully received!!!

Helen
hamster

Re: Dawes Blowfish or Islabike?

Post by hamster »

I cannot comment on the Dawes, but I am a happy buyer of several Islas over the years.

Check how light the Dawes is, and whether the cranks and brake levers are scaled-down child size ones or not. Islas pass all these tests.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

+1 for Islabikes. They also have a high resale value which makes the cost of ownership around the same as a Blowfish, if not cheaper.
Kevin K. Glasgow
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

With your son sized ask the bike shop if they can get the Islabike for you. I would expect that they should be able to match the website price and still turn a profit - hence you supporting them - and would be more savvy in working out the right sized bike with the manufacturor.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Islabikes don't sell through bike shops, only direct to the consumer so the shop will pay the website price.
Kevin K. Glasgow
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

d'oh!
I guess they have to be good at sizing over the phone then, or they will rapidly lose customers.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

They're pretty good in my experience. They also offer a full refund if the buyer changes their mind within 14 days, with collection paid for by them.
I have no connection with Islabikes, other than being a satisfied customer of six machines over the years.
Kevin K. Glasgow
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Does sound good. My son is too small for an Isla, but will get one in about a year's time.
Big T

Post by Big T »

If you're within driving distance of Ludlow, you can go the Islabikes showroom and test ride an Islabike for size. Best to ring them first so that they can get a bike ready.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1 for Islabike.

I'm not sure about the on-line size guiding. I feel it's aimed at parents who are determined to get the maximum growability from each bike rather than comfort, control and enjoyment at an early stage.

Our son got his first Islabike aged 8, a Beinn 24. From the on-line sizing he would have fitted a Beinn 26. I knew this wouldn't be a good idea as I'd seen him struggling to get on and off his previous 24" wheeled bike, he'd never have managed a 26".

The on the phone guidance from Islabike was great, immediately suggesting the Beinn 24. He's been comfy and confident on it from day one.

His first bike had been a Giant Animator16. It's a reasonable brand name, had kid sized components but weighed a ton. It was cheaper at the outset than an Islabike but in terms of re-sale it had very little value, not much more than a BSO.

Islabikes hold their value much better making them a better investment all round.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Big T wrote:If you're within driving distance of Ludlow, you can go the Islabikes showroom and test ride an Islabike for size.
Then enjoy a delicious meal in the food centre next door. Highly recommended.
Kevin K. Glasgow