Bike Rebuild - Priorities

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikeandboat

Bike Rebuild - Priorities

Post by bikeandboat »

Hi Everyone, I have just found this excellent forum and thought some of you may be able to give me some advice.

After years of sterling service, my Dawes Mean Street has finally given up on me :-(

I have just bought a new Gary Fisher Dual Sport as It seems to meet all my current riding needs. However, I also really want to try and rebuild my Dawes to keep as a dedicated road-ish sort of bike (Straight bars but light and fast-ish)

The Dawes has a 531 frame and forks (i think identical to a galaxy), is 24 speed, has canilever brakes and has 27" wheels with 700x32 slick tyres

I know the bottom bracket is completely shot and the front wheel will need to be replaced as the rim has worn. but I don't know where to start with the rest. I will be on a limited budget so I will have to do bits at a time. I can replace most bits, but I don't know what equipment is good and what to stay away from. So, where do I start ? do I replace the head set before replacing the back wheel, or do I replace the chain set, chain and cassette first and if so, what equipment should I be using.

Any help gratefully receieved.

Steve
Chuck Glider

Re: Bike Rebuild - Priorities

Post by Chuck Glider »

If the frame and bars are sound, i would go headset, bb, wheels, transmission, brakes then the rest. Do you really need to REPLACE the headset or just strip and regrease with new balls? Bb: cartridge types are great and very easy to fit.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'd start with the worst and needy first.
The headset might just need a clean and greasing. As long as the cups and races are not damaged then you could fit new balls if the old ones are not shiny.
The front wheel rim is a safety issue and should be replaced ASAP. If the hub and spokes are still good then just fit a new rim.
(As an aside you say you have 27" wheels with 700 x 32 tires. If you have 700 tires then you must have 700 rims. :wink: )

Why do you need to replace the back wheel?

I would then concentrate on the BB as that sounds like it needs immediate attention.

I would only replace any of the other bits (chain/cassette/chainset, etc) when they are worn out.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
horizon

Post by horizon »

cycleruk wrote:I'd start with the worst and needy first.
(As an aside you say you have 27" wheels with 700 x 32 tires. If you have 700 tires then you must have 700 rims. :wink: )

I.

Sounds like a reasonable bike. I haven't got my Dawes brochures with me but you're right - 24 speed won't be 27" inch wheels. I think it is around '96 onwards then it went 26" at some point. It should be straightforward. How old is it?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

bikeandboat wrote: However, I also really want to try and rebuild my Dawes

Steve: don't you mean catch up with some fairly routine but neglected maintenance?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikeandboat

Post by bikeandboat »

Thanks for your quick responses.

Yes you are correct in that the bike has 700 rims not 27". And yes, with the exception of the frame needing a respray, it it long overdue maintenance posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=38749#

I don't know how old the bike is. I have had it for about 6 years and bought it s/h from my local bike shop after I had 3 bikes stolen from the station. It is so old and battered that nobody will look twice at it. But as a bike to ride it is one of the nicest I have had so I have a bit of an attachment for it.

If it helps to identify it, it is green and blue with yellow writing (poss why it hasn't been nicked) and it still has the 'hand built' motiff on the frame.

Thanks again

Steve
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

* New Cartridge bottom-bracket - not expensive.
* New Front wheel - 700C - You can probably pick one up on ebay cheaply.
* New headset again not expensive (or perhaps just needs to be pulled apart, cleaned and re-packed with grease)

Your bottom bracket might come back to life by dribbling about 10-15mL of motor oil down the seat-tube. In reality your bottom bracket and headset should be pulled apart, cleaned out and re-packed with fresh grease annually.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If it was me doing the repairs, I would start of by fitting a new cheap chain to find out if it jumps in any of the gears. If it jumps you then know you need a new rear cassette/freewheel. If it does jump I would refit the old chain knowing I had to replace more later. The Bottom Bracket would be the next thing to replace assuming you can get the cranks of with out destroying them. If unsure about the head set I would replace it with a cheap steal one about(£10).
I would prefer to do the minimum of paying out to get the bike so that it could be ridden then do the rest after.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
spanner

Post by spanner »

bikeandboat wrote:Hi Everyone, I have just found this excellent forum and thought some of you may be able to give me some advice.

After years of sterling service, my Dawes Mean Street has finally given up on me :-(

I have just bought a new Gary Fisher Dual Sport as It seems to meet all my current riding needs. However, I also really want to try and rebuild my Dawes to keep as a dedicated road-ish sort of bike (Straight bars but light and fast-ish)

The Dawes has a 531 frame and forks (i think identical to a galaxy), is 24 speed, has canilever brakes and has 27" wheels with 700x32 slick tyres

I know the bottom bracket is completely shot and the front wheel will need to be replaced as the rim has worn. but I don't know where to start with the rest. I will be on a limited budget so I will have to do bits at a time. I can replace most bits, but I don't know what equipment is good and what to stay away from. So, where do I start ? do I replace the head set before replacing the back wheel, or do I replace the chain set, chain and cassette first and if so, what equipment should I be using.

Any help gratefully receieved.
strip the bike of all components and assess the condition of them if worn out replace them over a period of time buy the bits you need and fit them
spa cycles does sora front and rear mechs for reasonable cost and also a triple chainset which is suitable for touring a new chain a taya to suit 5 6 or 7 speed is £5.99 on ebay the chainset is £35 and the mechs cost 22 for the rear 25 for the front wooly hat shop do a six speed shimano screw on freewheel for £5.99 they also do 700c wheel sets as well with q/r but be warned the spacing is wider than a road bike spacing as they are for hybrids not roadbikes
at a rough guess reckon you could refurb your dawes for around 90 quid though this doesnt include postage costs
hope this helps

Steve