Obtaining older size tyres and rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TJ

Obtaining older size tyres and rims

Post by TJ »

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the old Imperial size 26x1.25 (32-597) tyres and rims?
Also how easy is it to obtain 650x28A or 650A tyres and rims as these are the closest equivalent?
Regards, TJ.
CJ

Re:Obtaining older size tyres and rims

Post by CJ »

Old, obsolete sizes of tyre are unfortunately the sort of thing most people will only spend a small amount of money on, in order to keep an old bike on the road, so it's not that attractive to the mail-order firms and more Halfords stock-in-trade, so best try there. Failing that, you need the sort of relationship with your local lightweight dealer that makes it worth his while to place an unprofitable special order with a supplier he maybe doesn't normally use.

32-597 (26×1¼) tyres are still made, but only basic quality by only a few firms. 26×1.25, by the way, denotes a completely different size, 32-559, that is readily available.
gerry

Post by gerry »

You can get 26 x 1 1/4 tyres from good old St John Street Cycles, but even they don't have the rims.
ronh

Post by ronh »

I have 2 Raleigh tyres 26 x 1.25, and two steel rims. Speaking from memory. Will get back to you in more detail if interested.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Obtaining older size tyres and rims

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I will need 32-597 tyres for my 1950s Gillott soon, where might I get some?

The wheels seem to be in good condition still
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My first port-of-call for uncommon tyre sizes is the Schwalbe catalogue. They don't do "all the tyres in all the sizes" but they do some sort of a tyre in most of the sizes in a way that no other manufacturer seems to attempt. Also, being in the catalogues doesn't necessarily equate to being in the shops. Anyway, I've checked the current Schwalbe catalogue and I can't see anything in xx-597.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/katalogeflyer.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-597/

SJS appear to have Kendas, Raleigh, and Schwalbe tyres in stock in this size

FWIW I'd perhaps get a spare set of tyres if you are in it for the long haul; continued availability of this size appears uncertain.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's possible that this is a quirk of tyre sizing which has been discussed before and I have forgotten.

In the quest for type 2 knowledge I've checked the Schwalbe tyre search link and there's nothing in xx-597. The list jumps from xx-590 to xx-622. However, searching for 26 x 1¼ brings up the HS130 but described as 32-590 which is advertised by SJSC as 26 x 1¼ / 32-597

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifensuche.html

I understood ertro was meant to achieve universal standardisation in a world with various standards. I know (or think) that the first number is the nominal diameter of the tyre and the second the rim size. I thought the latter was pretty critical, in a world where 26 x XX can mean completely different rim sizes. I now find the same tyre can be differently described by the manufacturer and a reputable retailer. :?

:!: Thinks. :!: I wonder what it says on the tyre itself. :?:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the 'HS130' designation refers to a method of construction by Schwalbe, not a size. If so it is possible to buy the same tyre model 'HS130' in different sizes.

37-590 is 650A is 26x1-3/8". There are also different width tyres that go onto those rims.

Only a 597 tyre will fit a 26x1-1/4" rim.

BTW Schwalbe make a lot tyres that are not in their catalogue or on their website. It is mainly OEM tyre models that are not listed, but there may be others.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Brucey wrote:IIRC the 'HS130' designation refers to a method of construction by Schwalbe, not a size. If so it is possible to buy the same tyre model 'HS130' in different sizes.

37-590 is 650A is 26x1-3/8". There are also different width tyres that go onto those rims.

Only a 597 tyre will fit a 26x1-1/4" rim.

BTW Schwalbe make a lot tyres that are not in their catalogue or on their website. It is mainly OEM tyre models that are not listed, but there may be others.

cheers

All clear and I'm reassured that the bit I've underlined confirms what I thought. I'm still at a loss to understand why a search on my Schwalbe link for 26 x 1¼ brings up 32-590 (and FWIW 28-590) Unfortunately, I can only link to the search facility, not the results of individual searches. Here's the relevant result cut and pasted:

ETRTO 28/32-590 (26 x 1 1/8 x 1 1/4 Inch)

I also see I have been spelling ETRTO wrongly as ERTRO :oops: Pure ignorance.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I have the Schwalbe HS130 32-597s on my old Lenton, and ride 12 odd miles through London every day. They're great tyres for the job they do and I'm very happy with them. Cheap too!

Of course they're no gatorskin or marathon+ as far as puncture protection is concerned, but certainly not atrocious in that respect, and I'd rather have these than the cruddy-looking Kenda or 'Raleigh' options available in this now unusual size.

Edit: I did have the raleigh branded tyres but they don't handle highish pressure at all well (had a thankfully stationary blowout), but the schwalbe ones can go all the way up to the heady heights of 85 psi...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I bang the drum for Schwalbe because they do try to be comprehensive. When 27 x 1¼ looked doomed, they carried on with the Marathon and possibly others. The Birdy folder originally came with some children's bike tyres in the appropriate wheel size and Schwalbe then made Marathons to fit. Ditto tubes with presta valves. I presume this is just a website issue.

PS Schwalbe also do decent quality wheelchair tyres: pretty much their bike tyres but with smooth sidewalls. The son of a neighbour is a wheelchair user and he swears by them. He goes all over by wheelchair, including exploring in South America.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

+1 for Kenda's being available, even if they are nothing special quality wise. (your LBS should be able to get these if they have an account with Moore Large wholesaler).
You could sub rims and tyres for 26 X 1 3/8 (590 dia rim). These nominally have the same outer tyre diameter, but the rim diameter is a bit smaller, so you would need to drop the brake pads by 3 - 4 mm if the calipers allow this. The tyres would also be a but wider (1 3/8" vs 1 1/4"). Obviously these are not identical in apperance to the originals. If you want to keep original and stick with 26 X 1 1/4, you have limited choice.