Tubus duo and Ortleib classic front panniers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sirmy

Tubus duo and Ortleib classic front panniers

Postby sirmy » 14 Jul 2010, 8:31pm

I have a pair of Ortleib Classic front panniers and I am thinking of buying some Tubus Duo front carriers. Apparently this carrier needs an additional part to correctly fit the classic as it has the QL - 1 fitting systems.

However the paniers I have have the oval lower position adjuster which appears to be from the QL - 2 system but the upper adjuster is the QL - 1 system requiring an allen key to adjust it (some photos on this page, top adjuster at top of page, lower on at bottom - http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ortleib/ql1.htm)

So will I need the extra part to fit the panniers or not? :?

mahler

Re: Tubus duo and Ortleib classic front panniers

Postby mahler » 14 Jul 2010, 11:01pm

Not sure about whether or not you need the extra pannier bits.
However, I have recently purchased the Tubus Tara front rack instead
of the Duo model because I thought the joining arch between the two sides would make
them more stable. My old rack (albeit an inferior make) has two parts like the duo and
was always much less stable.

What I can tell you about the Tara is that is it very well made and does not have
contact points with the paintwork (except at the mount points) so it does not scratch
the forks. The tube where the pannier hooks go is slimmer than the the u-shaped
tube so the anti sway catches on my carradice panniers fit quit tightly. This might
not be the case with the Ergo model. Difficult too tell unless you can find a bike
shop that stocks them where you can look at them. Nevertheless, so far I am very
pleased with my Tubus racks worth the high price.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 15 Jul 2010, 1:02am

I use Ortlieb Classic front rollers with a Tubus Duo.
The catches are QL1 as per your link both top and bottom, the hooks are old versions with no sizing inserts, and the Duo is an old version as shown on this page.
I also use the panniers with a Tubus Tara which has a lower section similar to the current Duo. The QL1 lower catch has a tendency to come away from the rack on rough tracks, but I'd expect an oval QL2 lower catch to work better as it can be set pointing downwards, which QL1 lower catches can't.
The top hooks will be fine. The only advantage of the toolless QL2 is that it's easier to put the front pannier on the rear rack (eg for a day ride on a non-moving on day).

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 15 Jul 2010, 6:10pm

Thanks

18 - 7 - decided to go for the ergo, looks more stable than the duo but I still have to say the duo wins on looks