Another Shimano freehub question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve

Another Shimano freehub question

Post by Steve »

The (fairly new & expensive) Shimano freehub on our tandem is getting a bit sticky so I'm thinking of replacing the freehub body. Its model no is FH-HF08. Now then, do I have to buy the correct body to fit this, or will one from a cheaper hub do? I think SJSC are selling the correct one at nearly 40 quid, so I thought I might save some money by getting a cheaper, complete rear hub & using the freehub from that. Does anyone know if that would work? Could I take it from any Shimano 8/9 speed hub?
PW

Re: Another Shimano freehub question

Post by PW »

There are differences. A plain Deore is a bad fit on old XT, though it will work with a little gentle filing and plenty of grease. You can either shell out for the proper one or take the old one off, swill it out with 3 in 1 and leave it to soak in an engine oil bath for a week then put it back on. I usually keep a spare marinating in a margarine tub of oil in the shed.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Steve wrote:The (fairly new & expensive) Shimano freehub on our tandem is getting a bit sticky so I'm thinking of replacing the freehub body. Its model no is FH-HF08. Now then, do I have to buy the correct body to fit this, or will one from a cheaper hub do? I think SJSC are selling the correct one at nearly 40 quid, so I thought I might save some money by getting a cheaper, complete rear hub & using the freehub from that. Does anyone know if that would work? Could I take it from any Shimano 8/9 speed hub?

I don't recognise the part number, so excuse me talking twaddle......
There have been problems with XT hub bodies, is it one of these, and is it in warranty?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I swapped the 7 speed freehub on an old shimano 105 hub with an 8/9 speed one from a budget shimano hub labelled 8 speed parralax. Both hubs are performing ok and i have not had any problems. Sheldon Brown has info on swapping freehub bodies which suggests this can be done with any freehub body. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html I think the only difference may be in how the back of the freehub is sealed or not. Higher quality hubs may have seals, lower quality ones may just have a plain washer or even no seal at all.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PW

Post by PW »

The area around the seal at the back is subtly different. With Deore on an XT hub the freehub rubs the hub shell. It can be made to work but I'd prefer the proper fit.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!