531ST - Claud Butler v Galaxy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikes4two

531ST - Claud Butler v Galaxy

Post by bikes4two »

Having not experienced drops on a tourer nor a steel frame, I'm currently looking for a used tourer with drops and a 531 (or better) frame.

Galaxies seem thin on the ground at the moment but I have the chance to acquire a Claud Butler Black Diamond (apparently made exclusively for SJS Cycles some years ago.)

Is anyone in a position to comment on the relatives merits of the Claud Butler and the Galaxy as I would be grateful for your views - thanks.
Last edited by bikes4two on 22 Jul 2010, 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
York Commuter

Re: 531ST - Claud Butler v Galaxy

Post by York Commuter »

I've no experience of the CB Black Diamond, but having looked at the one advertised on eBay at the moment I would have no qualms about buying one if the "price were right" according to condition etc.

But as with all things ride it if you can, and if it feels right etc buy it - donb't miss out on pleasure by looking for months for for a Galaxy when the Diamond could have given you that pleasure.

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

As long as it's built by a reputable builder, any 531 tourer will almost certainly do what you require. I'm suprised you say Galaxies are thin on the ground - they're the most common off peg tourer, certainly of the lugged variety. If you are looking pon Ebay, you'll find they're like buses - you can wait for ages, then three that you want will come along at the same time.
They are a little over rated IMO, mainly because the go for a premium price over most of the competition, but also build quality varied a lot in the final years of Brum production. Having said that, I'm building one up at the momment to sell, so if I could interest you in a 2000 Super Gal in silver, 23.5" frame, rebuilt wheels in excellent condition, give us a PM.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Thanks Crepello - PM sent
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

I use to have a 531ST Black Diamond and a 531ST Super Galaxy and I actually thought that Black Diamond had a nicer frame. It was well finished, the clearances were better and very sturdy.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Hi Mercurykev,
Does 'very sturdy' also equate to 'heavy'? Were they of equal weight or one much heavier than the other? Any other observations about touring abilities, reliability etc?
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

bikes4two wrote:Hi Mercurykev,
Does 'very sturdy' also equate to 'heavy'? Were they of equal weight or one much heavier than the other? Any other observations about touring abilities, reliability etc?

There wasn't much of a difference in weight between the two bikes. By sturdy, I was more meaning sure footed/stable.