Bike-Eye Mirrors, Clip On Mirrors and other ideas.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclingthelakes

Bike-Eye Mirrors, Clip On Mirrors and other ideas.

Post by cyclingthelakes »

Bike Eye in the 2nd post is reasonably priced and looks worth a try now that I read about it at their website, fastens to the head tube. http://www.bike-eye.com/about.html

Now, I'm discarding the clip on mirror idea though it might not be a bad thing to have around.

http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-scoo ... gular.html And here is a link to that. A clip-on surely might get knocked off or shook off so does not seem to be a prime option though, maybe.

Has anyone ever tried a bike-eye mirror?
Last edited by cyclingthelakes on 26 Jul 2010, 4:37pm, edited 4 times in total.
cyclingthelakes

Re: Clip On Mirrors & do-it-yourself methods for mirrors

This appears very workable.

http://www.poweredbicycles.co.uk/Bike-E ... or/705.htm

It mounts onto the headtube.
Attachments
Bike Eye bicycle mirror
Bike Eye bicycle mirror
bikes4two

Re: Bike-Eye Mirrors, Clip Ons and other ideas.

Post by bikes4two »

I have a Bike Eye on my road bike - I have mixed views on its efficacy. On the plus side, it fits solidly to the bike frame, so little to no additional vibration other than that normally experienced with 100 PSI in 23c tyres. The view rearward is a very narrow field of view. For instance, if a vehicle is just behind you, you'll only see part of the grill and get little understanding of the overall width/size of it. You need to bend your knee outward a little to see rearwards and if you've got panniers you'll see .... the panniers and nothing else (haven't tried it with a rack pack though - this will be higher and possibly out of the line of vision).

It is definitely better than nothing, but as I spend most of my time on flat bars with bar end mirrors, I lament the limited field of view of the Bike Eye. Let's put it this way, when I buy my next tourer with drops, I won't be getting one of these.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
insanityideas

Re: Bike-Eye Mirrors, Clip On Mirrors and other ideas.

Post by insanityideas »

I prefer a mirror that attaches to my bike helmet, it does have limited field of view but you can turn you head. It is also much easier to glance behind, much like a car internal mirror. Makes cycling in traffic so much easier, obviously no substitute for a good turn of the head to check your blind spot. They can be fiddly to set up but once you find the right position they are great.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I use a glasses mounted mirror and find it really good for scanning the rear 180. As a recumbent rider turning my head only gives me a good view of the road behind me so I also use two fixed mirrors as well.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
cyclingthelakes

byegad wrote:I use a glasses mounted mirror and find it really good for scanning the rear 180. As a recumbent rider turning my head only gives me a good view of the road behind me so I also use two fixed mirrors as well.

I read it in an essay, cars have multiple mirrors, so why not bikes. If I ever did some serious touring, I'd go that route.

Thank you for all of your responses.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have a small mirror attached to the end of my drop bars on my audax bike.. Can't remember the make. It is not perfect but at least I can see cars close up behind when turning or riding in traffic. Since a head-on RTC I can't turn my head much to the right so a mirror is v.useful. I really miss it on my race bike but can't bring myself to fit on on it.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.