Audax bike query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Euskadi

Audax bike query

Post by Euskadi »

I'm intending to embark upon some long audax rides next year. 200km + 300km rides I could use an existing road bike, but for the 400km and 600km rides I'd prefer to have a more comfortable ride. I have three choices:
1. Buy a new bike
I had considered this option as I've always fancied a titanium steed for light touring and audax, but currently this is my least favourite option.

2. Use my Dawes Super Galaxy
Certainly the cheapest option, but the components are getting on a bit now, it's also from the early 80s and the wheels are 27x1 1/4 and i like to use it for touring (so to keep it a touring set up).

3. Convert a frame and forks I have that is from the 60s. This is a good frame and forks that has barely been used. Most of its original components are also in great nick. The trouble is the rear wheel need to be replaced as it has an old (but not valuable)Sturmey Archer internal rear hub, which I don't like. The rear spacing is 120mm and I really don't want to widen it. I had thought of turning into a fixed bike, but i know I would hardly ever use it and I like the idea of giving this bike a new lease of life and using it for audax rides.

Question: if I go with my third choice, what are my options in turning into an audax bike?
- buy old Campag components? This wouldn't be cheap and what happens about spares?
- choose a newer internal hub gear (if this is possible, and if so recommendations gratefully received)?
- any other options RE. #3?

Cheers :-)
frank9755

Re: Audax bike query

Post by frank9755 »

I'd go for the Super Galaxy option. Just buy a second set of nice, light wheels and fit 25s or 28s. It'll be a lot easier than trying to update your older frame without re-spacing it, and it is likely to be comfortable to ride all day.

Edit - just re-read and of course your Galaxy is 27in wheels. I expect the frame will take 700c (mine from c.1983 does) but you would need to adjust brakes, so a little more fiddly but still not out of the question.

FWIW I have just gone for option 1, having used a combination of racing bike and Super Galaxy on audaxes this year.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You would need to widen the rear triangle on the Gal as well. Why don't you want to widen the rear of your '60's frame? It's only 5mm more each side and would open up a whole range of hub and gearing possibilities. Of course, the brake bridges would almost certainly need to be dropped, otherwise you'll be stuck with rubbish extra long drop Tektro brakes. I can see how the rear bridge is dropped (re-brazed) but I'd like to know how frame builders drop the front crown brake socket?
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

frank9755 wrote:FWIW I have just gone for option 1, having used a combination of racing bike and Super Galaxy on audaxes this year.

I would like to as well, but not sure I have the space or money. Which bike did you go for?

CREPELLO wrote:You would need to widen the rear triangle on the Gal as well. Why don't you want to widen the rear of your '60's frame? It's only 5mm more each side and would open up a whole range of hub and gearing possibilities. Of course, the brake bridges would almost certainly need to be dropped, otherwise you'll be stuck with rubbish extra long drop Tektro brakes. I can see how the rear bridge is dropped (re-brazed) but I'd like to know how frame builders drop the front crown brake socket?

My 60s frame is a Holdsworth Super Mistral - would it need re-spraying, or would 5mm each side be ok? If i could widen the frame without re-spraying and open up more options including derailleur (I have the original GB drop handlebars) that would be very tempting.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Euskadi wrote:I would like to as well, but not sure I have the space or money. Which bike did you go for?

A carbon frame from Paul Hewitt. Not arrived yet, then I've got to build it up myself so no tests so far.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40807

Euskadi wrote:My 60s frame is a Holdsworth Super Mistral - would it need re-spraying, or would 5mm each side be ok? If i could widen the frame without re-spraying and open up more options including derailleur (I have the original GB drop handlebars) that would be very tempting.

It shouldn't need re-spraying. Opening up by 1cm is not particularly drastic or difficult, and it would increase your sensible audax gearing options for using that bike from pretty much zero to many. I did it on my '83 Super Galaxy (126 to 130) and it had no impact on the paintwork. I did find that the steel was incredibly springy so had to stretch it a few times to get a permanent change. It's all described on Sheldon B's site if you've not seen it.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

My instinct is always to keep bikes as original as possible. In your case, the Galaxy has 27 inch wheels. That is not really a problem, as you can still get good audax tyres in that size (Pasela 32 and Ultragatorskin, also in 32 mm). The Holdsworth would be a nice frame for audax rides, and would probably be more comfortable and lighter than the Galaxy. The only issue is that it is in fact not complete. But how incomplete is it? Do you only need a new rear wheel with 5 speed freewheel?. If so, the only thing to do is sourcing a decent 120 mm hub. Phil Wood still do 120 mm freewheel hubs, and they are very good. The alternative is the web, of course. You will have fewer gears than on a modern bike, but as long as you choose the range wisely (i.e. not too high) you should be fine.
Willem
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

rubbish extra long drop Tektro brakes

Not sure what you mean about this. I have a pair on one of my old frames and they are excellent, certainly better than the originals!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:
rubbish extra long drop Tektro brakes

Not sure what you mean about this. I have a pair on one of my old frames and they are excellent, certainly better than the originals!

I use them as well. No complaints really..
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

willem jongman wrote:My instinct is always to keep bikes as original as possible. In your case, the Galaxy has 27 inch wheels. That is not really a problem, as you can still get good audax tyres in that size (Pasela 32 and Ultragatorskin, also in 32 mm). The Holdsworth would be a nice frame for audax rides, and would probably be more comfortable and lighter than the Galaxy. The only issue is that it is in fact not complete. But how incomplete is it? Do you only need a new rear wheel with 5 speed freewheel?. If so, the only thing to do is sourcing a decent 120 mm hub. Phil Wood still do 120 mm freewheel hubs, and they are very good. The alternative is the web, of course. You will have fewer gears than on a modern bike, but as long as you choose the range wisely (i.e. not too high) you should be fine.
Willem

Willem, to answer your question about completeness, I've got the following original components for it:
It has a GB handlebar with a map of Britain edged on. It has Universal centre pull bake calipers (model 61 - which is the only centre pull version they produced). It has Berthet Lyotard no.23 pedals and GB 'professional' toe clips. It has a Campag headset and seatpost and a Unicanitor Brevettata racing saddle. The crank is a Stronglight no.80 and the front rim is a Dunlop stainless steel (apparently these are quite rare) with airlight hub.

I quite like you suggestion about the freewheel hubs and 5 speed would be more than ok for audaxing. So really I could restore it, but always have a problem using it because of spares (especially for longer audax rides), in which case I should really get a modern bike suitable for audaxes. Or explore the freewheel hub option and give the bike a new lease of working life and pleasure for me in riding it!
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

frank9755 wrote:
Euskadi wrote:I would like to as well, but not sure I have the space or money. Which bike did you go for?

A carbon frame from Paul Hewitt. Not arrived yet, then I've got to build it up myself so no tests so far.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40807

Euskadi wrote:My 60s frame is a Holdsworth Super Mistral - would it need re-spraying, or would 5mm each side be ok? If i could widen the frame without re-spraying and open up more options including derailleur (I have the original GB drop handlebars) that would be very tempting.

It shouldn't need re-spraying. Opening up by 1cm is not particularly drastic or difficult, and it would increase your sensible audax gearing options for using that bike from pretty much zero to many. I did it on my '83 Super Galaxy (126 to 130) and it had no impact on the paintwork. I did find that the steel was incredibly springy so had to stretch it a few times to get a permanent change. It's all described on Sheldon B's site if you've not seen it.

That was an interesting discussion on components for your new frame. Did you stick with the Stronglight impact with triple chain rings and 9 sprockets? Thanks for all your advice!
Alec
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Well, it sounds like you would need an impractical amount of new parts, including a new front wheel (steel rimes hardly brake at all in the wet). It may be fun to do a period restauration, but that will be a labour of patient love until you have all the required pieces. I would not ruin a nice frame like this by respacing it. So in the meantime, you might use the Galaxy with Pasela's. You could contemplate a 650B conversion, but I am not sure if you could get brakes to do that with a 27 inch donor frame. A 700 c frame is probably easier for that.
Willem
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Euskadi wrote:That was an interesting discussion on components for your new frame. Did you stick with the Stronglight impact with triple chain rings and 9 sprockets?

Yes, it was helpful to get a bunch of different opinions. You always learn something.
My parts started arriving today! I'm going with a Stronglight triple and I decided to go for 10-speed, as it appears to be better quality kit, is not much more expensive and will have a longer pre-obsolescence life. I'm looking forward to getting the frame so I can have some fun building it up!